Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GOTC 2018
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:57 am 

Brian sent me a message asking if we were having a GOTC this year. He, like other working folk, have to put in for vacation early.

I hate to say it again, but I cannot commit to a leadership role. I have children spread across the country with limited vacation myself. And as much as I love you guys, my family takes precedence. If I can come, it'll have to be limited (I'm assuming it'd be in Virginia).

What say you?

Post subject: Re: GOTC 2018
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:57 pm 

I have already put in my vacation, but can also take other weeks if someone else doesn't already have them. I can't commit to going or not going without a date and location. I also have 3 grandchildren now and while my girls are all local I still can't say there won't be conflicts with dates.

I'd love to be there as I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of my time at past GOTCs, but it depends on a lot of moving parts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:39 pm 

If you wish to again visit Meadow Lane in VA, Big Butte in NC or somewhere else, it would be wise to get a reservation nailed down soon. The weekend before Mother's Day weekend is also a choice...but we aren't the only folks that have that in mind.
About time lads....somebody step up.

Bux

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:13 am 

I am highly unlikely to be able to attend this year. Our move to San Antonio is pending, and May is likely the month we will physically move everything.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:40 pm 

Is anyone interested in attending a GOTC in 2018? If so let me know.

Wade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:08 pm 

Sure wish I could go, but this is a bad year for me. I'm hoping that after the move, I'll be able to time meetings at headquarters with the GOTC and just add some personal leave onto the end of it. I have some meals planned!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:43 am 

It seems that as each year goes by, our company has more and more field work to do.

I'm not sure why. Maybe the power companies are trying to extend the life of their equipment as apposed to buying new. Maybe it is more for liability reasons. As of now, there is about 3 solid months of work to be scheduled for this spring. After the beginning of the year, I suspect that more customers will call wanting quotes for work so they can outline their budget for this year.

There also seems to be fewer people willing to go out of town and work. It used to pretty much be a requirement of the job. That seems to have faded. So that leaves me with scheduling just about all of the jobs and then having to do the majority of the work. I've got a couple guys that I can readily depend on, but of course it wears on them also.

Because of all of this, I have to put in for vacation early to insure that I get it. This spring I plan to go to a bamboo rod gathering in the Smokys on the weekend of April 28th. If there is enough interest to get a GOTC gathering the weekend before or after, I could swing a long vacation out of it.

Sorry about the job rant, maybe it's just a case of the winter shack nasties.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:30 pm 

I don't make a practice of whining, but I have felt so out of sorts lately that if I still feel that way in the spring, I won't be up for a fishing trip. A lot of family stuff is bugging me and a couple of health worries. (Not isues yet...Docs still trying to find things to scare me with.) I hope it gets sorted out. I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:48 pm 

I’m interested, Wade. Will depend on timing and location, but I’ll try to make it if we have one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:47 pm 

I’m in.