A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:45 pm 

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Ca ... 13617:4:US

NO PITY! Stay under the covers lads.

Bux

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:37 pm 

Says the man wrapped in a blanket in southern North Carolina.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:14 pm 

I have neighbors from Buffalo, they aren't anxious to move back home.

I had a friend who has an asst. coach for the Bill at one time. He told me they had a white-out when he went for the job interview.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:45 pm 

-14° here this AM.

-23° at a friend's place in Da Yoop.

...It's always colder somewhere...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:02 pm 

Douglas,

I moved south primarily to avoid those North Country temperatures and weather. It wasn't quite that bad in Pennsylvania, but it just meant higher humidity which made the cold ease deeper into the bones.
Actually, in college, we learned to cope with the daily cold, sleet, snow and ice. That said, 20 below is a bitch no matter how you cut it...30 below is rare, but very dangerous. When the snow squeaks when you walk on it...that's proof of a below zero temperature...ears freeze without warning.
A scene that will never be forgotten, was seeing a cocker in heat surrounded by a beagle and two other mutts "romancing" at 15 below. That's a determination even we students could not match.

Bux

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:07 pm 

-16.9° here, now. Pumpkin had frost on it, earlier. Shattered when I tried to pick it up...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:28 am 

Yeah, but you guys are used to that crap. An inch of snow for you means nothing, but for us, it's Armageddon. We deal with tornadoes and tropical storms regularly, whereas you guys up in the un-interesting north deal only with a little chilly weather and self-congratulate yourselves.

If you want a dose of reality, move south...or, do NOT move south. Enough displaced persons are here already.Who in their right minds retires and moves north?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:27 am 

Gene L wrote:
Who in their right minds retires and moves north?

Haha- you sound like my wife Gene. When I retire I'd like to move from Colorado to Wyoming for the tax breaks and the fishing. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but she doesn't fish.
January through March would be spent somewhere warm in the RV for the first few years, and then who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:09 pm 

I moved to Georgia from outside Memphis in 1991. The weather people are forecasting the coldest temps for next week I remember since moving here. It seems to me one end or the other of the winter season has the cold weather, I am hoping we are having the cold early and will have a early spring. Cold weather and the dry skin that goes with it is why I refuse to fuss about hot weather. Larry Csonka had his last two training camps in my hometown just south of Memphis. I ran into him in Reno years later, he said it was the hottest place he ever visited. I'll take it and I have been to hotter places.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:42 pm 

Gene L wrote:
Yeah, but you guys are used to that crap. An inch of snow for you means nothing, but for us, it's Armageddon. We deal with tornadoes and tropical storms regularly, whereas you guys up in the un-interesting north deal only with a little chilly weather and self-congratulate yourselves.

If you want a dose of reality, move south...or, do NOT move south. Enough displaced persons are here already.Who in their right minds retires and moves north?

Tornadoes? We get 'em here, here's a couple of the better documented ones:

Historical: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Colf ... o_outbreak

Recent: http://www.apg-wi.com/rice_lake_chronot ... 38b98.html

...we also get floods, straight line winds, hailstorms, lions, tigers, bears, dogs and cats sleeping together, plagues of locusts and muskys eating unattended children...I may have made some of that up... ;)