Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:36 pm 

I talked with a homeless man this morning and asked him how he ended up this way.

He said, "Up until last week, I had it all. I had plenty to eat, my clothes were washed and pressed, I had a roof over my head, I had HDTV and Internet, and I went to the gym, the pool, and the library . I was working on my MBA on-line. I had no bills and no debt. I even had full medical coverage. ”

I felt sorry for him, so I asked, "What happened? Drugs? Alcohol? Divorce? ”

"Oh no, nothing like that," he said. "No, no.... I was paroled."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:41 am 

I winced as I smiled.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:43 am 

Homeless guy: "Hey, man: Can you loan me $15 until payday?"

Business man, as he hands the guy $15: "Okay. But when's payday?"

Homeless guy: "Hell, I don't know. You're the one with a job."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:12 pm 

I needed that smile after reading the daily pile of pooh issued out here in this bastion of Army wisdom...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:49 pm 

joel wrote:
I needed that smile after reading the daily pile of pooh issued out here in this bastion of Army wisdom...

Just count yourself lucky that they haven't invited me up to give a lecture as they did one time back in 1977.

(Funny story. One of the officers from the Army's Litigation Division had been invited to come talk about how to deal with civil lawsuits...habeas corpus and the like. Jimmy Carter's liberal general counsel put the kibosh on that. So, the Army asked me to go give the talk. I had left the Litigation Division in 1976 and and was Assistant General Counsel at OMB. It never dawned on Carter's dufusses to see who I really was. I was, in fact, more conservative than the guy they were going to send originally.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:56 pm 

Things have changed up here. They expect you to do the reading. Class participation is graded...Army officers are evaluated on their academic performance. We have to orally defend our thesis (which has to be approved by big Army). The old timers say it is not the war college of your division commander, the Army expects a return on investment. I'm getting my fill of Army law, one of my instructors is a JAG.

That said, one of my major goals is to figure out these damn bugle calls. We've got somebody sounding off a horn or cannon at odd times in the day...no one seems to pay most of them any mind, but at 1700 cars screech to halt, everyone piles out and salutes the flag. I am assuming this to be retreat, which the Navy sounds at sunset. Can't sort out if any of the other calls carry the same significance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:20 pm 

The Army retreats at 5 or 530. The air force retreats at 4 and always drinks up the good whiskey.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:01 pm 

Joel:
The first thing you learn on an Army post is never, ever be caught outside at Retreat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:58 pm 

When I was on Lackland, it was at 1800. You stopped your car, but didn't get out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:49 pm 

You don't have to get out on army bases either, unless you're in uniform.