Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:16 am 

I think it was Master Sgt. Ralph Molinari that told me that coffee was suitable to drink only if a spoon would stand up in it....obviously, he was never drowsy. :) Bux

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:42 am 

Buxtehude wrote:
I think it was Master Sgt. Ralph Molinari that told me that coffee was suitable to drink only if a spoon would stand up in it....obviously, he was never drowsy. :) Bux

That statement has been attributed to just about everybody I've known who were in the military,including just about all the WWII vets I knew growing up.You're gonna need the refillable cartridge I mentioned in my first reply,and others have also mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:26 am 

O.K., the testing has been completed, at least to my satisfaction.
In my humble opinion, there is no way that the Keurig gizmo is ever going to make a cup of coffee as full-bodied and flavorful as my old Krups electric drip unit.
Using my regular AM/PM coffee with the drip pot with Costco's standard Kirkland 100% Columbian, Supremo Bean, Dark Roast-fine grind....in the 3 lb. can.
I used Mark Wendt's formula of a heaping 1/3 cup* of coffee for 8 cups of brewed coffee. The pot would be made in the AM, and it lasted the rest of the day...just nuked the mugs back to hot.
Thanks for all of the testing samples sent. They won't be wasted, I'll pass them along to our daughter...our son-in-law can enjoy the variety.
Bux
* 1/2 cup in reality.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:04 pm 

There's a guy on YouTube who will show you how to make a good cup of Keurig coffee.... the first words out of his mouth are `you can't `

If you want higher caffeine intake use light roast

If you want undrinkable bitterness, use twice the grounds and half the water in an old percolator. You can pick one up at a yard sale or Goodwill store

Hope this helps....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:16 am 

"To each his own" seems to fit the subject of how best to brew coffee as well as ones choice in just about anything from single-malt scotch to mince pie.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:54 am 

If you want full bodied and caffeine without bitterness, cold brew is the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:39 am 

How do you cold brew coffee? Like Sun tea?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:10 pm 

I don't know how most folks do it, but it can be done using my Sous Vide circulator. Put the coffee (use a less granular grind) in a mason jar with the water and submerge in the hot sous vide water for a certain temp/time. Afterwards, strain the grounds out by pouring it through a coffee filter.

I actually haven't done it, but it mimics cold brewed which is well known for it's smooth taste, even with more robust coffee. Folks who use sous vide cookers swear it's the best coffee they have ever had.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:34 pm 

I just Googled Sous Vide and what I read indicates sous vide takes a long time to cook stuff. I can't wait that long for coffee in the morning even if it is better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:49 pm 

With the coffee, you would make it in batches, refrigerate it, then heat a cup when ready.

But I think you're right...probably not for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next