Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Farewell, Coley Newton
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:20 pm 

Coley Newton, U.S. Army (retired), died this afternoon. He was 8 days short of his 48th birthday. He is survived by his son Lee, his father Colston, his brother John, and his sister Cynthia.

In a world where the title “man,” is used indiscriminately, Coley Newton was a true man. He led men into battle in three recognized wars. No book will likely be written about Coley, but he deserves one. He did his duty. He never shirked his responsibilities. He was a friend to many, a son, a brother, a husband, a father. He did his duty to all.

I was honored when Coley adopted me as his uncle. We talked when he was deployed. We talked when he was home. When he decided to retire from the Army, he asked me to help him with his resume. We talked about the transitions he would have to make, going from the combat Army to civilian life. I was privileged to sit with him in his home on the Northern Neck and we talked about his boat models, his weapons, hunting, fishing, Lee Boy, and his future.

What a good man he was. I can only tell you from the long phone conversations we occasionally had, that Coley was a very, very good man. He was a soldier’s soldier, a warrior’s warrior, and he was a very good man.

Colston let me know just a bit ago. Obviously, he’s torn up and so am I. I told him last night, when he called me to tell me Coley was in his last few hours, that I’d let you know when it transpired.

Coley, my friend, my brother: tell Peter that Thomas Jonathan Jackson and Patrick Ronayne Cleburne are waiting for you.

Thank you, God, for letting us have Coley in our lives for the time we had. Take him, Lord, to Your Bosom. He was a man of honor, integrity, and compassion, a warrior.

God, that’s gotta be worth something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm 

A bitter blow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:24 pm 

Deepest condolences and prayers for the family.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:14 pm 

Prayers and sympathy for the family.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:40 pm 

Colston...I can't put my thoughts int words, but my sympathy, thoughts and prayers are with you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:54 pm 

Oh my God.

Colston, I am so very sorry....I don't have the words.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:32 pm 

Colston and Family,
We are very sorry for your loss. I had the privilege of speaking with Coley a couple of times. I regret not being able to meet with him in person. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Wade and Cheryl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 pm 

Colston,
I’m so sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:01 pm 

Doug: Thanks for posting that.

We have pretty much recovered from the initial shock. Thankfully, Coley's mother, sister and I were all with him.

The Librarian and I have been finishing off the remnants of a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle's Patented Grief Remover and can attest to its efficacy. Using it is entirely appropriate since it was one of two bottles at the local ABC store that I got the word on. Since customers were limited to one bottle, I called Coley and he snared the second one. Some time later, I asked Coley when he was going to have me over to help him with it. Somewhat sheepishly, he said he and his buddies had polished it off in one sitting. (I expect his funeral will be huge...buddies like that.)

After he had let go, he looked entirely at peace. On the way to The Librarians', it struck me who he looked like. He had a well trimmed beard and he looked for all the world like the recumbent Robert E. Lee in the chapel at W&L.

Truthfully, I'm pretty torn up but also so thankful to have had his company for almost 48 years.

Thank all of you for your kind wishes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm 

Squire Newton,

Thank you for the telephone call - I know it wasn't easy to be the bearer of such sad news. There never is a "right time" to complete your work and move on to the next challenge. Coley finished his assigned duties many times over and he will be welcomed by the others with whom he served, fought and defended.
In the telephone calls we shared, I knew he was made of the right stuff, down to the bone. The Newton breed and traditions run deep, and Coley was among all the other American patriots therein.
Please pass along my condolences to the entire Newton family.

Ed Laine