Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Speaking of phobias
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:11 am 

My dad worked on a huge chicken production farm in the Denver area when he was a kid during the depression.
For the rest of his life, he never ate an egg or chicken of any kind. Most anything made with lots of eggs, like Mayo, he wouldn't touch.
When we were kids, mom would make fried chicken and dad would get a steak. I always thought that was unfair.
Till the day he died, he thought Mom was making "special" cookies and cakes without eggs - Hahaha.

Post subject: Re: Speaking of phobias
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:50 am 

The cash crop in East Tennessee was tobacco, not cotton. My mother could never get her mind around my uncles, her brothers and brothers-in-law, chewing tobacco. She talked about how disgusting the tobacco worms were and how those men were probably chewing worms with that plug tobacco.

I hated digging potatoes as a kid. Now I'll eat potatoes, but honestly, I'm not a big potato fan because I remember being covered from head to toe with dirt, digging potatoes in the humidity of late August, sweat pouring like a garden hose and every time you wiped your brow, you got muddier.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:20 pm 

Doug,

If you ever saw all of the stone walls on NY State farms, fields, back yards, etc., you would understand why I hate rocks. Every spring when plowing the fields for corn and potato crop planting there would be more rocks to load onto a tractor-pulled "stone-boat". Those new stones were then added to the old stone walls. It was said that all those rocks were brought down years ago by the glaciers that once covered NY...and much of New England. When kids asked "Where did the glaciers go?" The answer was: "They went back to get more rocks."
The North Country of New York State consists of rocks with a thin layer of dirt on top - there is no top-soil to speak of.
Douglas, you'd quickly learn to hate rocks for they make digging/planting potatoes even more difficult.

Bux

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 pm 

I got paid by the hour every Spring starting in 7th grade to load those rocks and build the walls. It had the side benefits of making me a relatively strong young man with what was then considered a a "healthy" tan. Tossing hay bales adding to the benefits. Since I got paid for this work, I never developed the aversion to it that I did about the free weeding of my father's vegetable garden.

These days my dermatologist is super happy to get the income derived from my "healthy" tans.

Brad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 pm 

I got paid for working with a crew removing stone fences. hard work...Do you have any idea how deep beneath the surfaces those damned things have sunk?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:54 pm 

picking up spuds - - -

that brings back some memories. Between our farm and the country school I attended were 3 or 4 more farms and one of those guys was a potato farmer. Come potato harvest time I'd stop by his place on my way home from school and pick up spuds, and he'd pay me 75 cents for a short row and $1.25 for a long row. I saved my nickles and saved my dimes, the 409 hadn't been invented yet, so I bought me a little savage single shot 20 ga. and the guy threw in two boxes of shells. A box of sixes for pheasants and a box of fours for ducks because he knew my dad was a duck hunter.

And thus, at the tender age of 13 I began my downhill spiral.

I didn't mind the picking up taters, what really got to me was the day I got home from school and saw those two holstien milk cows standing in the corral by the barn. My heart just sunk right there on the spot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:26 pm 

Ron Hoff wrote:
picking up spuds - - -
I got home from school and saw those two holstien milk cows standing in the corral by the barn. My heart just sunk right there on the spot.

Robots do the milking now and push up feed to.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:49 pm 

One of my uncles also had a small farim with the usual pigs, chickens, cows, etc., and he had about 20 milk cows to take care of every morning - - and evening.

he had three electric milkers and he'd get those hooked up and milk a fourth cow by hand while the machines were doing the first three. He always beat the machines done so he'd be ready to get three more hooked up.

He and pops both had a grip of iron from all that cow milking and my grip still today 58 years after getting rid of those two bovines I attribute to the time I spent milking twice every day. He usually took care of it in the morning during the school year, I got the evenings but when school was out I got both shifts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:41 pm 

Milking by hand would be very difficult these days.