Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Steak
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:47 pm 

Not able to come and cook at the GOTC, so here's tonight's steak. Cooked it sous vide at 128F for 2 hours. Coated it lightly with mayo, some steak seasoning, then onto a grill (600F) for a minute on each side.

Post subject: Re: Steak
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:14 am 

I am glad it wasn't eaten raw or boiled in water.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:28 am 

Isnt "sous vide" boiled in water?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:22 am 

Sous Vide doesn't even boil it. he said 128 Degrees. Heck I just let my steaks sit on the kitchen counter in front of the window where the sun hits them with my fixins on them while I get the grill lit and hot. I mean it's fine if you want to screw around for 2 hours while you bathe your meat in warm water. I find 3 1/2 - 4 mina side over rippin hot charcoal gets me a wonderful medium rare steak with really great flavor. We all have our methods to achieve our end goals. I'd eat one of Greg's steaks if the opportunity arose. I hope he'd return the favor. I'm sure we'd both be very happy with a belly full of really good food.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:21 am 

Doc, that looks just perfect to me. Nicely done.

After being on the road for a few weeks, that looks especially appealing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 am 

Satch's post reminds me of the time I got a steak out and out it on the stove to thaw. The stove had a defect of some sort so it was always warm. I fell asleep on the sofa watching the news. When I woke up, the steak was done.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:39 pm 

Satchel wrote:
Sous Vide doesn't even boil it. he said 128 Degrees. Heck I just let my steaks sit on the kitchen counter in front of the window where the sun hits them with my fixins on them while I get the grill lit and hot. I mean it's fine if you want to screw around for 2 hours while you bathe your meat in warm water. I find 3 1/2 - 4 mina side over rippin hot charcoal gets me a wonderful medium rare steak with really great flavor. We all have our methods to achieve our end goals. I'd eat one of Greg's steaks if the opportunity arose. I hope he'd return the favor. I'm sure we'd both be very happy with a belly full of really good food.

I would, but I don’t cook mine that way anymore, when I have the option.

Many of these guys have eaten sous vide cooked food before and don’t know it. I prepared the creme brûlée I made at the last GOTC using sous vide. Many have also have steaks prepared that way at fine restaurants, but didn’t know it. It started as a method used only in restaurants because the required equipment was far too expensive for non-professionals, but that has changed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:19 pm 

Looks good, Greg. Let the others rail and rage. I had an aunt who couldn't stand having a bathroom in the house.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 pm 

Doug G wrote:
Looks good, Greg. Let the others rail and rage. I had an aunt who couldn't stand having a bathroom in the house.

LOL! I had an uncle the same way - - When dad converted the pantry off the kitchen into an indoor toilet and shower unc had a fit. Said it wasn't right, that people shouldn't be doin that in the house and continued using the outhouse. Made dad mad and he tore down the outhouse, filled in the hole and unc started going out into the corn field to take care of business. He quit working for my dad once the corn was picked!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:08 pm 

I know of one member here who uses the back porch.