Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I don't understand it
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:08 pm 

I don't understand how LL Bean has stayed in business all these years. I just gave my LL Bean shoes (leather, not Bean boots) their annual polishing. They have been my camping and fishing shoes for about 30 years and are still usable. How can Bean stay in business selling stuff that never wears out?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:26 pm 

They've changed their guarantee. Formerly, they'd take back anything, no matter how old or for any reason. No more. The bean counters took over. Happens when you're no longer privately held.

New Guarantee:
We stand behind all our products and are confident that they will perform as designed. If you are not 100% satisfied with one of our products, you may return it within one year of purchase for a refund. After one year, we will consider any items for return that are defective due to materials or craftsmanship.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:43 pm 

I think LL Bean and Orvis tend to be 'Eastern' franchises. Build good quality stuff and you won't run out of business.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:27 am 

We've had LL Bean catalogs in our house since I was a little kid (FDR administration). Never had a problem with anything we bought there. Not always "on the cutting edge"....but that's a plus for outdoor gear.
The old hunting pictures from the Stillwater Club could be used in their catalogs. Red & black plaid woolen clothes (shirts, jackets and even some trousers). Bootpacks, hats, etc.
I'd be embarrassed to wear much of the stuff on today's market...silly colors, fish designs, useless pockets and mostly made in Asia.
Here's a place that Trump could score big numbers...boost "Made in the USA" as a target for employment, wages and reliability of those products.
I'm disappointed how much Orvis clothing and gear is imported - their catalog identifies made in the USA, but that's a small minority of the stuff.

Bux

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:42 am 

Where are those simply divine Orvis man bracelets made?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:47 am 

4SeasonFisher wrote:
I think LL Bean and Orvis tend to be 'Eastern' franchises. Build good quality stuff and you won't run out of business.

I think you're right. We had an LL Bean store here for about a year. It was always empty. Here in the west, it's REI and Cabela's that tend to be where everyone shops.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:32 pm 

ColoradoNative wrote:
4SeasonFisher wrote:

I think you're right. We had an LL Bean store here for about a year. It was always empty. Here in the west, it's REI and Cabela's that tend to be where everyone shops.

I grew up with REI gear...it was mailorder only back in those days.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:07 pm 

Cabela's and Gander Mountain are belly up.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:13 pm 

Dr. Trout Bum wrote:
ColoradoNative wrote:
4SeasonFisher wrote:

I grew up with REI gear...it was mailorder only back in those days.

My son has a PaintBall store and his best sales day had not one customer pass through the door.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:15 am 

I remember when Cabela's had a guarantee like that. About 30 years ago. Before they built the big store out by the freeway in Sidney and still worked out of the old one up town they had what was called the bargain cave down in the basement. And it was a real bargain basement.

I bought a pair of those leather topped, rubber bottomed boots like beans sells for $15. They had a messed up eyelet. That was sometime in the late 80's. I just recently tossed them as the rubber was finally cracking so bad they were starting to leak. The price of a new pair scared me.

Cabela's had this policy that if you weren't happy just return it and they would gladly refund your dough or replace the product.

You could go in the bargain basement - or bargain cave as it is now called - and see all these hiking boots with a few scuffs on them, etc, and one of the salesmen that worked there told me about all these guys that would come in and get outfitted for an elk hunt and when they got back, return everything to cabela's for a refund.

It will be interesting to see if Bass Pro continues that policy now that they have bought the Cabela's stores out. It is my understanding that they are going to keep the Cabela's name on the stores. We'll see how long that lasts.