Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:04 pm 

I recently received a newsprint sales "door-buster" from Cabela's wherein they introduced their pre-season wild turkey decoys. I have no strong feelings about duck and turkey decoys as part of the "game" even though I might feel a certain degree of quilt in using them myself. However, in my humble opinion,the "decoy creators" have stepped waaaay over the line this time. They have shamelessly added, under the header, "GET 'EM GOOD AND MAD" Dominant toms won't be able to resist."
Ready for this? They have a mixed pair, a tom and a hen in coitus, sold as "Mating Motion, Pair Turkey Decoys"
By now you must have the picture in mind. The pair are "Jerk Cord Operated". This isn't sporting no matter how you spin it. Are turkey hunters a tacky breed in general?

Bux

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:41 pm 

No tacky, frustrated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:15 am 

Haha - I'm going to go check that out.

I just use hen decoys and if the birds are in the area they seem to work.

We don't have a lot of turkeys here, so it's a challenge. We have to put in for a draw, so I guess some might want to use everything to their advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:35 am 

Just another ay to sell decoys, if a tad tacky.

I never thought hen turkey decoys did much other than keep the gobbler's attention away from where you are sitting with the call.

My favorite non-regular decoy was mallard dekes fitted with a mono line under the bill running to a heavy weight on the bottom and then back to the blind. By pulling on the line, you could make the decoy dabble. Of course, the most effective duck hunting device I ever saw was Old Orville's tape of feeding mallards. I watched him draw a flock of mallaqrds that had settled a couple of hundred yards downstream right into our spread with it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:20 am 

Speaking of duck decoys, I learned that in Russia and other places in Europe, the object is to get the birds to land, or almost land. This is to test the skill of the caller and the management of the decoys, whereas over here wing-shooting is THE way.