Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Just so we remember it
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:25 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyu3OIn5A00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:24 pm 

Only place I’ve ever been where the hair on the back of my neck literally stood up. There absolutely was an aura in that place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:57 pm 

I haven't been to San Antonio in several years but I suspect things have not changed at the Alamo site. The attendants do not allow a lack of reverence and photos are not allowed in the church, which is what most people think the Alamo is. The entire complex is quite different. It is my understanding the battle was a victory for the Texans also in that it was a delaying action that bought time for Sam Houston to raise troop and position his army for the decisive battle of San Jacinto. After winning the battle of San Jacinto Santa Ana is captured, dressed in disguise as a woman.

It is not widely known that the bodies of the defenders were all burned in a large funeral pyre. While this angered Texan past and present, it was probably done to prevent the spread of disease.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:26 pm 

TN_hillbilly wrote:
Only place I’ve ever been where the hair on the back of my neck literally stood up. There absolutely was an aura in that place.

Had that happen at Gettysburg. Eerie place, disturbed, unsettled ground.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:42 pm 

San Jacinto moved me...The little copse of Trees at Gettysburg made me cry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:49 am 

We went to San Antonio in the summer of 99 to attend my sons graduation from USAF basic training. While there we visited the Alamo and there was "aura" there that day too, it was about 25 screaming kids running amok while their parents completely ignored the signs calling for quiet.

I tried not to let it get me down though and just kept reminding myself of those poor, outnumbered souls hanging on as best they could, waiting for help that never came. It certainly brought a tear to my eye.

Man, 99 - - wow, junior will have his 20 in, in one more year and a little over 3 months.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:19 am 

Ron Hoff wrote:
Man, 99 - - wow, junior will have his 20 in, in one more year and a little over 3 months.

Good for your son, one of my best friend's youngest retired from the USAF a few years back and now has a great job in Chattanooga protecting the cities data.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:16 am 

We were there (SA) again at Christmas. Of course, most don't know the Alamo looked, in 1836, nothing like it does now. The arched front was built by the US Army sometime between 1847 and 1861, while the Army used the buildings comprising the Alamo as a granary and warehouse.

The building,before the Army added the complex arched front, may have looked like this:

I didn't feel any special aura there, but I've been to Bastogne, Gettysburg (with Ed and Colston, just us three, and I swear I smelled black powder), Chickamauga (where I've seen ghosts moving through the trees), and King's Mountain (early in the morning, when the fog was lifting).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:51 pm 

Those are great illustrations Doug, thanks for posting. For all the great pride taken by Texans in the Alamo, it is ironic ladies saved the Alamo from being partially or totally torn down twice. In 1908 there were plans to save only the church and build a park around it and group had to raise money to keep the long barracks a site of much of the fighting from being razed to build a luxury hotel on the site.

A local officer relayed the story of a frazzled NJ tourist trying to find a parking space to visit the Alamo. The officer directed him to a lot a couple of blocks away, which did not make him happy. The tourist inquired "Why did you put it downtown"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:16 pm 

Thanks Doug, those are some great pictures. Some I had not seen before.