Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 pm 

Ever buy a rod and you have three days to inspect, test it and return it if you don't like it - - -well by golly, I have the solution for that when it is 15 degrees outside with 20 mph winds.

Some time back I had bought a nice little 7' 4wt built by L.J. Downes. And it was one of those kind of days when the rod showed up and more in the forecast. Aha - I knew exactly what I was going to do after thinking about it for a minute. Hopping in the lear jet and heading for Arizona was out of the question so I did the next best thing.

I went up to the church. It has nice high ceilings, long aisle and I was set. I opened the foyer doors, put a little hardy LRH on the rod, positioned myself with the alter behind me (to simulate bankside growth) and stripped off a little line, and a couple false casts and shot that tippet right through the foyer doors. OOoooh yeah, it was sweet.

I played with it there for a bit and went home with a big smile on my face. I was kinda wishing the ceiling fans hung down a little lower though so as to get a feel for fishing it with an overhead canopy of branches, etc., but can't be too picky.

what made me think about this is I have another rod that should be here sometime this week and I'll probably need to do the same thing again.

i think Peter was really smiling down on me that day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:14 pm 

Dude...that made me grin...

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:11 am 

Did somewhat the same thing with a new line on an old rod one time. A big church near me has a full size Gymnasium complete with maple floor. By standing at center court and casting to the corners I could cast about 75 feet of line. Worked great and in the middle of the week I didn't even attract any attention.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:53 pm 

hilarious