Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:50 pm 

Happy birthday Mr. Laine, hope it was a great day and many more and better will follow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 pm 

Ditto my friend - - -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:15 pm 

Ed, you've probably got underwear older than I am...but Happy birthday, regardless...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 am 

Happy birthday, Sir.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:45 pm 

Happy Birthday Ed

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:56 pm 

Thanks to all of you...Actually, aging is easy to master and, in reality, it's largely genes....parents and grandparents got into their 90s with most of their heads still working at a normal level...hearing was the noticeable gradual loss. Mine started in my teens when first, NYMA and then later, my Uncle, discovered that I could shoot. In the service .30 cal.carbine, .45 cal pistol and .30 cal. M1 rifle all played a part...Then, being named a regular instructor and a member of the PMGC Rifle Team. I was provided "ear protection", a wad of GI toilet paper. As a result I compensate now with VA provided hearing aids and higher volume on the TV and the car radio and CD player.
I've also found that there is a good bit of "noise" broadcast and spoken that is meaningless.
Books don't need sharp hearing....and neither do trout...think about it this way:
Things are much quieter than they used to be and you miss a lot of useless drivel and rancor daily.

Bux

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:37 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
I've also found that there is a good bit of "noise" broadcast and spoken that is meaningless.

I'd go well past "a good bit" towards "a significant majority", other than that, we tend to agree.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:05 pm 

If you haven;'t tried them yet, ED, wireless headphones are great for listening to the TV --and even your computer. I strongly prefer the over ear versus the on ear style. They also may please Donna if her hearing is better than yours. Go to Amazon and search for best over ear wireless headphones. I've been using Sennsheimers for years, but was surprised to see there are now much cheaper ones that are rated higher by Amazon users.

My ENT doc recently suggested a hearing test and the hearing doc then recommended hearing aids. I checked with my sister, brother in-law and lady friend and they all said I was doing fine and should not bother. I struggle a bit in large gatherings, but I don't spend a lot of time in large gatherings. But I do appreciate headphones for TV and music.

Brad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:35 pm 

Brad,

Thank you for that information! Especially the info on headphones for TV listening. Donna may just send you a gift if that option works! I've another trip to the VA in March for a review of my status - maybe just turn up the volume in the aids or provide better gear.
It's not simply volume as you well know, it is the inability to hear the higher pitched frequencies...the soft vowels of speech clearly.
Luckily, I kept all of the paperwork from the service and my entry hearing tests then were 15/15.

The VA doc is a "kid" in his early 30s and he just shook his head at the "protection" provided in the 1950s.

Bux

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:09 pm 

Edward,
I'm late to the party. HAPPY BIRTHDAY bud.