Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Booze storage question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:34 pm 

When camping in our RV, I hate carrying glass bottles as I've had them break in the past.
I have a stainless flash which is not large enough so I've been looking for an alternative way to carry booze in the RV.
The other day my wife brought home some swag from work - Aluminum water bottles.
They state that they are good for all cold liquids and the only thing that will hurt them is bleach.
I put some water in one and left for a few days and the it tasted fine.

Anybody know if alcohol will have an ill effect on the anodizing on the inside or will it make the booze taste funny? Mind you, it's for short term storage only.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:50 pm 

They make silicone water bottles for hikers, etc., Amazon has them. Look for collapsible water bottles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:56 pm 

If you leave it in there for a few days, you'll be fine. DO NOT store wine in Aluminum. The acid in the wine will attack the oxidation on the aluminum and will be ruined. Stainless steel is fine for wine (wine is generally fermented in stainless steel). I've had whisky in stainless steel flasks that I forgot about for months. It does take a bit different after a few days.

The best thing for camping is to simply wrap the bottles with bubble wrap and put them in a box with dividers. Ask your local liquor store to save you a box that magnum bottles of wine come in. That'll give you the room for the bubble wrapped bottles.

I have two leather whisky cases I use. I bought one at a yard sale and the other on ebay. This isn't a picture of my cases but it gives you an idea.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:08 pm 

Booze should be fine in those containers.

I would run a test and see if the booze tasted any differently after left in the anodized aluminum containers before storing for long periods of time.

Chemically, different boozes should not affect the anodized aluminum. It would generally take something caustic to get at the anodized coating. (something like sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, etc)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:02 pm 

There are several brands ans sizes of booze that are sold in plastic bottles. For examples, Smirnoff has a .74 liter and Gordon's vodka has a 1.75 liter. You can buy one of these, consume the content, and store any booze you like in them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:25 pm 

Brad,
This is what did last summer and it worked ok, but the lid cracked and started leaking.
She brought these bottles home and latched on to two of them hoping to use one for bourbon and one for scotch.
They can bounce all over in the cupboard or the fridge and never get hurt.

Doug, I used a box one time and when going to the LAF, there is a slightly steep hill heading down into the campground (Brad can attest to it's steepness and roughness).

My booze box pushed the door open and the bottle hit the floor breaking the lid and leaking 75% of my booze onto the floor. Camper smelled really nice for a few weeks ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:25 pm 

A guy I fish with occasionally has a couple of commercially available opaque white plastic flasks. They looked to be slightly smaller than a 5th but bigger than a pint. Since he couldn't tell what was in them he took a sharpie and labelled them, "Dale's Scotch" and "Dale's Vodka".

His were something like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-10-Clea ... SwceNaXVug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:28 pm 

For many years a friend of mine, "El Doctor", who I have mentioned in the past, always had a liter of Ancient Age on hand. After quite awhile thinking Ancient Age had altered its recipe and gone to hell, I found he used a plastic Ancient Age bottle to store Jim Beam.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:34 am 

We all have that one friend who pours bad booze in a good bottle. Went to a friends house a couple years ago and found a bottle of Woodford Reserve on the counter. He said his neighbor brought it. After adding a little ice to a glass I poured a couple fingers. Well, long story short, I nearly spit it out and asked the million dollar question, "What is this"? Well, seems all they had at home was a Woodford bottle with an inch of bourbon left in it and a half gallon of Beam. I went looking for some Sprite. I think there ought to be a law against such things.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:36 am 

Satchel wrote:
We all have that one friend who pours bad booze in a good bottle. Went to a friends house a couple years ago and found a bottle of Woodford Reserve on the counter. He said his neighbor brought it. After adding a little ice to a glass I poured a couple fingers. Well, long story short, I nearly spit it out and asked the million dollar question, "What is this"? Well, seems all they had at home was a Woodford bottle with an inch of bourbon left in it and a half gallon of Beam. I went looking for some Sprite. I think there ought to be a law against such things.

There are laws against such things.....however those laws don't extend to someone's private home. ;)