Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:04 am 

Have been following your weather patterns there on the east side. I have a great deal of pity for you with all the crappy weather you’ve been experiencing. I’m not being sarcastic at all. I only wish all of you who have been assaulted by Mother Nature can ride it out with a minimum of discomfort.

Here near Sunriver, OR, we have been experiencing just the opposite. At this time last year we had about 4 1/2 feet of snow in the yards and I had burned through 10 or more gallons of gas in my snow blower. Today was near 60, vice the 20-30’s it should be and this is a couple of weeks of this. My skiing inclined friends have been blaming me for the change in weather, citing my purchase and installation of heating wire to forestall ice dams on my eaves and the purchase of a John Deer tractor with an attached snow plow for their woes.

Haven’t been fishing at all so no reports. My eye doctor cleared me to big game hunt again after a three year hiatus due to danger of retinal failure. Great! Four months after I had given my son in law the majority of my rifles and shotguns! As a result I depleted our bank account by a serious amount. Christensen Arms Ridgeline rifle in 28 Nosler, topped with a Nightforce SVH 5-20 MOA scope. Plus a SigSauer 2400 ABS rangefinder kit with Kestral and a new chronograph. A great rig if I can ever find ammo or brass for it. I’ve worked on it by bedding the already partially bedded stock. Then I took it to a really good gunsmith and had the bolt face and receiver squared. Took it to a local range today and took about six hours to break in the barrel. Shoot, clean, repeat for ten shots, the same routine for three three shot groups. Cleaned and then one fouling shot. That finished my only box of rounds. After I find another I’m going to put another box of rounds through it to complete the process and to sight in. This is definitely a long range capable rig. During the break in period, with two 5 shot groups (the first 10 rounds), both groups were under an inch. When I get 40 shots done and I have the brass I’m going to experiment with 175 grain 7mm Hornady ELD-X and 175 grain Nosler Accubond bullets to work up as tight shooting groups as I can get. I’m going to have fun killing some 800+ yard steel plates with this. I can hunt within 500 yards of my house for deer and elk but I doubt I would have more than a 200 yard shot at them.

Fishing for Bull Trout starts March 1st. I’ll forward reports and, if I catch any, pictures of the results.

Take care and be safe!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 am 

Nice hearing from you Charlie. Only fishing I'm doing is ice fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:17 am 

Good news about the eyes and I know you enjoyed the new rifle. (You think the son inlaqw and doc were in cahoots?)

Put up some bull trout pix. Those things are way spooky.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 am 

Thanks for your post, Charlie....I walked through the rifle procedure in my head with envy. Those ultra-tight groupings have more than just the hardware and ammo in their making. Obviously the eyes, breathing and steadiness are in excellent condition and well under control.
As for the Bull trout, I've only seen one and it scared the devil out of me. I had a 14" cutt on the line, I was standing on a very narrow ledge 4 feet above a deep run in Montana* - then, this creature came out of the depths intending to grab the cutt. Primeval was the best word that came to me. That thing was a good four feet long and it had "shoulders". It made a few follows but then disappeared into the depths.

Looking forward to your photos.

Bux

*Bob Marshall Wilderness.