Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I guite a little axcited
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:33 pm 

Thursday evening I'm going to Indianapolis to the Vogue Theater to see The Infamous Stringdusters. I'm sure most of you here have never heard of them. All I can say is do yourself a favor and go to YouTube. Pull up the band name and for an introduction to the Stringdusters take a look at Night On The River, the official music video. I love this kind of music and am going to see two bands in the next month that sort of embody what I love. I started playing Dobro about a year and a half ago and the Stringdusters have an absolute savant of a Dobro player.

The official video was shot on the middle fork of the Salmon River.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:58 pm 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:21 pm 

That is some awesome (an overused word completely deserved in this case) music.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:25 pm 

I believe they play a little bluegrass.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41 pm 

If you like string music, here's a link to a relative of mine, Lowe Stokes, a pretty significant fiddler of 1928 or so and up till now. He got his right hand shot off at a liquor still at sometime but had a hook made to hold the bow and carried on. It was rough times back then, Lowe was shot three times and stabbed twice. He was related to my father (first cousin) and died in 1983 after a long life. A famous musician and very talented and I doubt he could read a bit of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXBiJQJ-MWE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:25 am 

Yes them boys play a little bluegrass. They are all very good on their instruments and all share a love of the outdoors. I found them about the same time I found some other groups you might like. Leftover Salmon, Railroad Earth, ( tickets already purchased for their concert in Royal Oak, Mi. March 8.) Trampled By Turtles, Yonder Mountain String Band, Greensky Bluegrass, Billy Strings. Just to mention a few.

That's the base of what I listen to along with what can be widely categorized as Americana. Shovels and Rope, Whiskey Myers, several others.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:20 am 

You guys can ask Brad, they are "almost" as good as the band we had at our LAF (Liver Abuse Festival).

Ours was a couple of guys (Brad being one) with guitars and one awesome dobro player. Well, maybe they weren't quite as good, but sitting next to the fire along the Colorado, they sounded pretty darn good. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:36 pm 

Thanks for the compliment, Gary, but it was the setting, the campfire and especially the liver abuse that made us sound good. It was great, though, to be able to have Dan Fink add all the bridges on his dobro.

Satch, check out The Seldom Scene on You Tube. Excellent group all around. Their dobro player was wonderful. Here's him doing lead on an instrumental.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGSSJoGxHw

Brad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:53 pm 

I'm familiar with The Seldom Scene. There are quite a number of groups of that genre' out there. That's why I sometimes waste a cold dreary afternoon just flipping around on youtube finding new music. Although they are broken up now Cross Canadian Ragweed was s great group. The founder, Cody Canada has since gone on to form a group that plays a much harder form of country rock. Not really my thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:10 am 

Satch,
I'm sure you've seen this, but still impresses me: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... nderstruck