Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:00 pm 

I just think a person's status is irrelevant regarding his driving. I don't stick up for illegals but I don't like seeing them attacked for things other people do, too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:30 pm 

So what you got out of that was some thoughts on bad drivers? Interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:28 pm 

I agree with Colston. The drunk driver's illegal status has nothing to do with his crime.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:36 am 

You guys are missing the clear point - when someone cares little to nothing about the rule of law regarding their immigration status, it’s not a stretch that to see a high rate of crime in that demographic. In my instance, his immigration status didn’t make him more likely to sideswipe me, but I do believe it increased the odds he would have taken other (illegal) shortcuts and in so doing, not be held accountable for his actions.

As for the original post, isn’t the point that the media avoids publishing negative news about illegals in order to preserve the picture they have painted of them - the humble guy with his hands in his pockets, shuffling his feet on the street corner while waiting to be hired for an honest days labor doing work Americans don’t want to do. There are certainly some folks like that, but it is a very dishonest and incomplete picture of illegal immigration. They are more than happy not to report the murders, rapes, and drunk driving accidents,but got their hands forced because this time the victim was a pro athlete.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 am 

Just a SWAG from local LEO.
Around 60% of legal drivers have insurance. Most all have a place or residence. Majority have driver licenses.

Around 0% of illegals have insurance. None have permanent residence. 1 out of 10 has some sort of ID card.

A local guy was killed here by a drunk a while back. Driver was illegal and this was his third offense and he finally killed someone. Not one word of his status or the fact that this was his third DUI in the paper. In fact, the cops can't even ask his status. They find out when they finger print him because he has ZERO ID.

The media will NEVER bring this to the nation's attention and it's getting to be the norm around here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:52 pm 

ColoradoNative wrote:
The media will NEVER bring this to the nation's attention and it's getting to be the norm around here.

I always try to keep Gell-Mann Amnesia in my mind when looking at anything promoted by any media, along with a health dose of skeptical cynicism regarding agendas and motives...

Gell-Mann Amnesia, for those unfamiliar:

Quote:
“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.
In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”

― Michael Crichton

Given the media's extremely low percentage on getting the details right...we have to be even more careful when reading about things we tend to agree with...

JMO...and present company excepted, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:02 pm 

Here's a follow-up to my comment about multiple OWIs:

http://chippewa.com/news/local/chippewa ... 3AE0B4F304

...and no...not an illegal...not even close. I'll bet $10, right now he doesn't have insurance...who'd cover him for anything less than about $500/month?

The dude is forty-freakin'-three. If we assumed he got his license at 16, that's a conviction every 3 3/8 years....how in the hell coupl he possibly be out of jail t get busted again...but wait...it's worse than that...he got picked up SEVEN times between '03 and '09...so we stuck him in jail for 2 1/2 years...then let him out and put him on "extended supervision" for 4 1/2 years...

This clown is clearly a professional drinker...so odds are he's not getting caught every time he drives drunk...any guesses to the ratio? 10:1? 50:1? 100:1. Bet it's closer to the latter than the former...

The problem...at least in WI...is NOT the illegals. Not by a long stretch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:19 am 

Further North wrote:
This clown is clearly a professional drinker...so odds are he's not getting caught every time he drives drunk...any guesses to the ratio? 10:1? 50:1? 100:1.

I realized years ago that you really have to drive almost always drunk to get caught. If I've driven a mile drunk I've driven 10,000 and I was only stopped once, in 1966 and acquitted that time. I quit doing it about 1988 but lord I never hesitated before that. When I started prosecuting DUIs and saw repeat offenders, I realized they really had to be out there exposed all the time to get caught so often.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:47 pm 

In the late 80's the penalty for DUI / DWI became considerable more serious in most states in the South. I remember friends start asking non-drinkers to be their designated driver when they would go out. Lawsuits against serving establishments became more serious also. Aramark was hit with a $135 M judgment for over serving a NY Giants fans and leaving a healthy 2 year old a quadriplegic on life support.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:11 am 

I think it was the late 70s or early 80s when Bill Fears, a state senator from the Eastern Shore, was defeated for reelection after he observed that stiffer dui laws were "taking all the sport out of drunk driving."