Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Darkest Hour
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:32 pm 

In lieu of watching the Super Bowl yesterday, I went to see the Churchill movie "Darkest Hour" with my neighbor and his son. Though the audience was likely skewed by being concurrent with the Super Bowl, I noted that the three of us were the youngest folks there. I noted 4 couples of advancing years watching this. I hope this wasn't the typical audience, as it would do the younger generation well to pay attention to this piece of history.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. As usual, there were liberties taken with actual events under the auspices of fitting the overall story into a compressed timeframe, as well as making it entertaining. Real events likely had a lot more than what was presented. Nonetheless, it was an entertaining look at the conflict within the British government during this crucial time for western civilization.

Oldman did a great job as Churchill. He was humorous and aptly portrayed the flawed man that Churchill was. I recommend it as a very entertaining movie that won't add much to the historical knowledge of most here, but is a great visual reminder of what came before us.

It was an interesting turn of events to see "Dunkirk" this past fall and then to see the behind the scenes political process leading up to that event.

"Do not eat the meat raw or boiled in water, but roast it over a fire..." Exodus 12:9

Post subject: Re: Darkest Hour
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:29 pm 

Thanks for the review, I doubt my wife would be interested in seeing it with me. Maybe my neighbor who was an AP history teacher before being promoted to assistant principal. I don't usually attend movies as I don't want to support most of the people in the movie making industry and I am not supposed to eat popcorn.