Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:42 am 

The Lovely Missus decided we should go try the BurgerFi chain store that opened recently in Fort Wayne. for her birthday last evening. We went in and got a table and found two ways of ordering your meal. Stand in line to get to the counter and order from a human being or use one of two computer terminals near the entrance. We chose the computer terminals so as to be unrushed. Our party was 5 adults and one 16 month old. As one would expect from a burger joint there are many options, some of which are very unique. I ordered the Breakfast All Day burger. A burger patty, a small thin patty of hash browns, cheese, onion, bacon, a fried egg, ketchup and mayo. There was nothing wonderful about this burger. It was just a burger that can be equalled or bettered at any of thousands of small town cafes all over this country. Certainly not anything that shold qualify it for the basis of a national burger chain.

Our order was for 6 burgers, two XL fries(one would have been plenty), which were limp, soggy, and way oversalted. 3 soft drinks, 2 milk shakes, and one beer. The total was $90+. On walking out the front door wife the Lovely Missus I said something to the effect of, "well we know what's in there now and don't have to go back". She agreed and said next time she wants a burger she'll go to Steak And Shake, which, in my opinion has much better burgers and you get a whole meal for $4.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:05 pm 

LOL, It's not easy to screw-up a hamburger, but if you have a wide assortment of add-on glop and a "creative" gang of millennials on your staff....they'll prove that it can be done every time. :roll:

Bux

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:13 pm 

It would be my guestimation the fancy burger joint will be lucky to last a year. People will not stand in line for long to be overcharged for a less that superior product.

My wife and I celebrated our 51st a day earlier and made our first trip to the local Cheesecake Factory last night. The food was good, but not excellent and the restaurant had a waiting line at 6 p.m. We probably won't make a return trip anytime soon. As Yogi said "No body goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 pm 

I've got a few short stories...

Ever heard of Johnny Rockets? Total waste of money. They charge $10 for a double burger that is about the same size and quality as something you'd get at Carl's Jr. Then it's another $2 for fries, $1 for a drink, and add tax and a tip and you're easily at $15 for a burger and fries meal. NEVER AGAIN!

On a recent drive home I stopped by a Burger King and ordered a double Whopper, regular fries, and regular drink. The total came to around $9.39. I couldn't believe it. There was an Applebees across the street and I could have went there for the same money and much better food.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:30 pm 

The Burger Fi near my office is great. The one in Denver is mediocre.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:30 pm 

The Librarian and I stopped at a new franchise place, "Cook Out." Never again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:03 am 

Colston Newton wrote:
The Librarian and I stopped at a new franchise place, "Cook Out." Never again.

Cookout is for starving college students.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:41 pm 

Yep. Cheap food, lots of it. $5 for a burger and two sides. My youngest stinks it's great. Me? Naahhh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:30 am 

We ate at a Burgerfi when we were on vacation a few years back and we loved it. Sad that I can't remember where, but I think it had to be in South Carolina. Anyway, we found out there was one in Denver and we tried it.
It was NOTHING like the one we had previously. Very disappointing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:06 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
LOL, It's not easy to screw-up a hamburger, but if you have a wide assortment of add-on glop and a "creative" gang of millennials on your staff....they'll prove that it can be done every time. :roll:

Bux

Had one at the hotel here in Hauppauge (which is apparently pronounced "Hawphawg" according to one of the local guys) that made a pretty good run at being screwed up.

It was sorta brownish grey, pink in the middle, nearly tasteless, and very nearly perfectly room temperature.

...looking at them, we determined that they may have been cooked in an oven...