Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:53 pm 

My old pal, Rupert Jules Collins, originally of Plessis, NY but now residing in Ellisburg, NY is still chugging along as he closes in on 90 years of age. Donna and I spoke to Rupe on the phone this evening and it was good to hear his voice and laughter again.
I wrote a farewell letter to Rupe over 10 years ago and he's still beating the odds. His only surrenders have been no more alcohol and no more caffeinated black coffee that you could stand a spoon in upright, and it wouldn't budge.
Rupe was an ATO fraternity brother at SLU, but he had already done a enlisted hitch in the Navy before college, during the Korean War....so he was older than I.
I kidded Rupe on the phone tonight and admitted I'll told others about his driving his dad's new Buick out on Black Lake and sinking it when the ice receded near shore...he laughed, and said he'd done that twice with the family car....but his dad was really upset the second time since it was a brand new Buick.

On another vehicular mishap, after Rupe had put in 48 hours of stress as a NY State Commissioner of social work without sleep, finally fell asleep at the wheel of his new GMC pick-up on I-81. The State Trooper that first got to the vehicle which was well into the wooded median north of Syracuse, asked Rupe "What happened" ... the reply was of legend, " I don't really know Officer, I didn't wake up until I got into the heavier trees."
Now you know why Doug and I inducted Rupert into the GOTC - you've got to admit he had the basic requirements that needed no further discussion with others.

Cheers, Bux

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:28 pm 

Rule is a unique critter for sure.