Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: It is fierce I tell you!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:51 pm 

No doubt about it....'tis the storm of the century, warnings on TV, radio and I suppose short-wave as well.
The snow in Charlotte is up to 5" deep in the back yard! Locals mention the winter at Bastogne ; blizzard of 1888; Washington crossing the Delaware, etc. I even had to face the storm's fury to hose off the dish so that we could regain contact with the outside world ....JD just called to let me know that Canton, NY had donned light wool sweaters and baseball hats, but no Bermuda shorts quite yet.

Bux

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm 

Ed,
We have about 8" on the ground. Driving to work this morning I was in back of a guy from GA. Good lord I was laughing all the way to the office :lol: :lol: .
He's lucky he didn't kill anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:16 pm 

It's 24 in Adairsville, 22 in Canton, N.Y., and 30 in Anchorage.

Tonight it'll be 12 in Adairsville and 18 in Canton.

Jack's probably flying to Jacksonville, FL about now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:11 pm 

We finally got the snow that was predicted...had an honest 6" in our backyard with temps in the high 20s and low 30s. Our dog had never seen snow deeper than a "dusting", and she went bismo...she loved it. I have a couple of Kong balls that I have modified to be thrown easily. The dog plowed through the snow like it was a natural thing as she chased the "balls". We did three periods over the course of the day and she begged for more. We both had fun! The two of us will sleep like rocks tonight. It's supposed to remain below freezing tonight, thus we may get in another day of snowy exercise tomorrow.
Bux

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:22 pm 

Bring on spring I’m so tired of winter and the cold. The older I get the more I can’t stand the winter months.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 pm 

The great thing about winter here is that we get cold, as much as 5 below or so, but then it'll be 50 in a couple of days. The sissies complain about the cold. The snowflakes complain about the variability. I just enjoy it.

It snows. I stay home and work through the internet. I take walks with the dog and wife, through windy 10 degree weather, then come home and warm up. The winters are grand. No piles of dirty snow. Women still shave their legs in winter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:49 pm 

Doug,

I agree with you on the part about it not lasting long and the peaches need it to set the fruit or something. Thankfully, I have not heard anyone say "it will kill the mosquitos." My enjoyment is tempered by the curse of dry skin and of late my blood seems to have gotten thin. I wonder if that has anything to do with the BP meds I take. Cold weather is the reason I absolutely refuse to complain about hot weather, no matter how hot it gets.

Last edited by Uncle Jesse on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:05 pm 

Doug you enjoy the winter you can have it. Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:38 am 

Tony, I was talking about the sissies here who can't handle 2 to 3 weeks of cold a year. You folk up north don't just have to deal with longer weeks of sustained cold, worse - the darn sun doesn't shine and the days are shorter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:49 pm 

Watching the news this morning and they were showing semi's just sliding down the road sideways. No snow, the road looked dry, but it was pure ice.
Not sure where, they just said "in the southeast". I don't care how good of driver you are or how good your tires are, without studs you are in trouble on those kind of roads.

I'll take snow every day over those conditions.