Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:17 pm 

When could snow start in Charlotte? (A winter weather advisory is already in effect.)
BY MARK PRICE

msprice@charlotteobserver.com

Mecklenburg County could see snow over night into early Wednesday, says the National Weather Service. Close to an inch is possible in the Mecklenburg County area, and road problems are considered likely during the morning commute, say forecasters.

The National Weather Service issued a winter weather advisory about a fast moving cold front that is expected to approach from the west Tuesday and move across the region tonight.

It’s predicted the snow will fall mainly after 5 a.m. Wednesday, which means morning commuters could see road problems. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.

“A band of light precipitation will accompany the front as it passes. Temperatures will fall off quickly with the front. Although the precipitation may begin as a brief period of rain, it should quickly mix with and change to light snow,” says the National Weather Service. (end of article)

Henny Penny panic time once more...the grocery stores will run out of milk and bread and wine sales will skyrocket. 4-wheel drivers will once again learn that their vehicles slide on icy roads just like sleds and leather shoes.

Stay inside Squire Newton and make sure the tobacco and bourbon stocks are adequate for the horror headed your way.

Bux

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:37 pm 

The only person anywhere that knows how to drive in the snow, is the person you are talking with at the moment. Everyone else is a bunch of idiots. I have been told that coast to coast.

Back before I left Memphis and Brad arrived there, I worked for Holiday Corporation who owned Holiday Inn, who owned a couple of other brands. The company philosophy was if the hotels were open the corporate offices should be also, but Memphis is pretty flat and real snow was seldom, so that worked pretty well. We moved to Atlanta which is not flat, so I doubt they have the same policy, of course back then we didn't have laptops and the internet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:19 pm 

Memphis snow didn't bother me in my time there, but there were a couple of ice storms that sure did. The number of trees in Memphis just amazed me. I had 28 different species on my Memphis lot. The tall piles of branches that lined every Memphis street after an ice storm were unique in my mostly snow country life.

Brad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 pm 

In 1988 there were two decent snows in Memphis 15" in January and a little less 4 - 6" in February. I don't remember it snowing again while I was with Holiday Inn there. I moved to Atlanta in 1991. While living outside of Memphis in Collierville my house was on top of one of the high points in the county, here I have to go up 3 hills to go anywhere. There are at least 3 hills within 2 miles with 100 ft. change in elevation, that may not be much in mountain country but it will keep me off the streets if we get much of frozen stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:17 am 

Go figure....our Belgian Sheepdog had never seen snow deeper than a dusting. Yesterday she got to play in 6" of mostly powder snow and loved it...didn't want to stop or rest...all covered in white. Took her out this AM and she's still thrilled..the snow stayed as powder - no crust - she literally dives into the snow to grab the ball....she didn't quit, I called it to a halt after 25 minutes of steady running....she refilled with water and is now staring at me to have another go at chasing the ball in the powder snow.
I love dogs that are enthusiastic and have the structure and will to play hard. I think I'll grab some coffee and suit up for another session in a half hour or so. It's still 20 here so there isn't a bit of mud....just white snow covering everything and hanging on the trees and bushes - it looks pretty - and me and my dog are enjoying ever minute of it. :D :D :D

Bux

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:46 pm 

That's funny. My daughter's dog doesn't need a ball to chase, she loves to bury her face in the snow when running or even walking.

When there is a fresh snow, her energy level is like 10x. Not sure why, but is fun to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:20 pm 

Threw the ball to the Drathaar. She never returned it. She threw it to herself for 20 minutes.

Then, frostbite started to take hold and we went inside. 25 degrees with a 15mph breeze.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:44 am 

Still a bit of snow in the yard and it's still below freezing so the dog and I will get another outing or two today.
She's lying down and staring at me as I type and I'm pretty sure she can read the screen...she's getting antsy and nudging my boot...ya gotta love dogs. We've had dogs living with us as family members since the first year of our marriage....and I'd had a dog since I was about five years old....Ta ta, gotta go throw the ball now.

Bux