Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:19 pm 

I'm reading James Lee's latest, "Robicheaux" and realize he is entirely too respectful about Confederate soldiers. We can't have than. Ban him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:08 pm 

I don't care for his style. He writes average chapters and loads up the final paragraph to make it seem better than it is. While he may promote Confederate war heroes, he's a bit to psuedo-liberal and smug for my tastes. Not bad, but I feel I'm being manipulated when I read him...which I don't do any more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:12 pm 

The names of his characters are worth the price of admission...Wee Willie Bimstine, Nig Rosewater...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:07 pm 

I like Burke. I particularly like his Hackberry Holland books. His first three Robicheaux books were good, but he kind of wgen out in the fields after that. I have Robicheaux on my Kindle, waiting for me.

But I'm not very literate, so my take is suspect even for me.

I read a really good story about a bear and a tree to my grandson the other day. Not much for a plot, but the characters were clearly written.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:28 pm 

I'll have to fess-up that I like James Lee Burke, Michael Connelly and Lee Child...alas as they pass away, others will try to reprise their lead characters and style - it rarely works. Dave Robicheaux, Harry Bosch and Jack Reacher are hard to reproduce.

Bux

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:44 pm 

It's all a matter of taste. I've rad some of Burke, two Jack Reacher. The action is non-stop in the Reacher books, but a little too-much to be believable. I'm no critic but demand a lot from mystery/action books. If I'm reading something formulaic, my mind rebels. Unless you're aware of the formula and enjoying the formula. I read several Donald Hamilton Matt Helm books, or re-read them, and they follow the same formula...Helm goes on his assignment, gets laid, and kills someone. He may or may not get beaten up. Sex and violence, both of which I approve, simply gets old when you plug it into a formula.

When I was a younger man, I read the classic action/adventure series "Doc Savage." They were also formulaic, but that was part of the fun...a mysterious situation, the appearance of Doc, a fist-fight or two, the team gets separated and then regroups, mystery solved and bad guys captured. No one gets killed. The innocence of the books are fun and appealing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:43 pm 

I'm another fan of Lee Childs and also Stephen Hunter and Robert Parker. I've read a lot of Grishom's books as well. (I don't know if I spelled that last one right but you get the drift)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:54 pm 

Let's not forget some of the older writers that were also worth the reading* -

Raymond Chandler
Dick Francis (British)
John McDonald - "Travis McGee.'...maybe the father of them all.

Bux

* Keep in mind that I was only a Sociology major with a Psychology minor, U. S.Army MP and a peddler of industrial products- Oh, with an MBA too, and still with my first wife....and a dog lover since childhood....possibly a borderline role model for low achievers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:43 pm 

Raymond Chandler, yes. The Nero Wolfe stories are great as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:44 pm 

I stuck with James Lee Burke for years...but the darkness finally got to me...and I finally bailed...I mean...how much tragedy can one guy endure?

Gene L wrote:
When I was a younger man, I read the classic action/adventure series "Doc Savage." They were also formulaic, but that was part of the fun...a mysterious situation, the appearance of Doc, a fist-fight or two, the team gets separated and then regroups, mystery solved and bad guys captured. No one gets killed. The innocence of the books are fun and appealing.

I read those also...the first few...were bloody and full of people getting whacked...then they settled down.