Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: The Super Bowl
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:01 pm 

Rancid C. wrote:
Does anyone else agree that the NFL has forfeited the right to raise the flag and play the Anthem before their games? If the NFL is going to provide media exposure for those who disrespect the flag and the Anthem, why give the NFL the opportunity? Treat the NFL as any other form of amusement, like movies and TV shows, which don't rate any patriotic display. My two cents.

John

You know, John, that's an excellent point.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 pm 

As many others, here and locally, have stated, I will not be watching the Super Bowl, nor any games next year...The NFL is just another layer in the compost heap of professional sports*.

Bux

*Ice Hockey still rules....at some college rinks, SLU included, both our US national anthem and that of Canada, is played to a standing crowd....many of the spectators sing the words to each. JD can sing off-key in French too...I've heard him :)

Last edited by Buxtehude on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:15 am 

You guys are missing all the satisfaction of watching kneeling players get concussions. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:31 am 

The only reason the Super Bowl has any significance in my life, for the last 30 years or so, is that my high school friends and I (those that are left) get together to play cards the night before.

These days, and for the last fourteen years, the Sunday of the game is spent driving the four hours home.

What used to last until 3:00 AM , or maybe 4:00...now ends with a whimper at midnight or before...

Don't care about the NFL and haven't since maybe 'bout 1980. They sucked then, they suck now...it just took some folks lnger to get hold of that...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:02 am 

Without viewers to justify the broadcaster's steep fees, the sponsors will withdraw. I'd suspect that a majority of sponsors do not appreciate the kneeling. I also think that there is an opportunity for sponsors as well - they can announce that they will not sponsor advertisements for the NFL until the flagrant disrespect for our flag ceases.

I might raise the issue on a different plane....the United States of America fought a long and costly Civil War to insure that not one of her citizens would be required to kneel for their master's. This "kneeling" for the National Anthem shows a total ignorance of history.

Like the others here, I have not watched any NFL games this season, and I will not watch the Super Bowl.

Bux

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:39 pm 

The folks getting the short end of the stick are the companies who paid the exorbitant fees for super bowl advertising. They will definitely not be getting their money's worth this year.

This is where the real downward spiral will begin to impact the league.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:50 pm 

Rancid C. wrote:
Does anyone else agree that the NFL has forfeited the right to raise the flag and play the Anthem before their games? If the NFL is going to provide media exposure for those who disrespect the flag and the Anthem, why give the NFL the opportunity? Treat the NFL as any other form of amusement, like movies and TV shows, which don't rate any patriotic display. My two cents.

John

I think that would be giving them(snowflake libs) what they want . We give up something to stop a wrong.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:46 pm 

I won't be watching it either. It really grates on me when I see that so I swore off back when I saw it wasn't going away.