Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/a- ... c439e1c025

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:18 pm 

That's an interesting piece. I knew that German POW's lived pretty well in camps across the USA with generals being sent to Jackson, MS. Their lives there were more luxurious than 99% of the populous, having air conditioned residences, which were not that common when I was a young boy growing up in Mississippi in the 1950's.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:56 pm 

That's interesting, but not unexpected...I suppose we were gentler than might have been accepted in that we had to consider our embassy staffs and government officials that were caught when the war broke out on 12/07/1941. We later had German POWs brought here in the US and held until 1945 -46.

We had German POWs digging potatoes on Long Island, and some were used shoveling snow and such. We saw them in the big trucks that hauled them around. I got the idea from my grandfather that they were probably happy to be over here and being fed well, treated decently, and not being shot at in combat.

Bux

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:07 pm 

From the programs I have seen on the History Channel and the interviews with some of the prisoners, the luckiest SOB's in the European theatre were the Axis soldiers captured and send to North America. Many returned to become citizens after the war.

The online article mentioned the Grove Park Inn, which used to be a client property and is my all time favorite hotel. The hotel housed Italian and German officers, the General Manager's house on property was used for the operation of the Filipino government in exile. If you have an opportunity to overnight in Asheville and can fit it in your budget I would highly recommend the hotel and restaurants there, but take the gold card.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 am 

We had a POW camp just outside of Greeley (about 20 miles from here). My dad would go over and pick up two of them to help him during the wheat harvest. They loved working for my dad and the they became good friends.

When the war ended, dad sponsored them and their families to come back over.
Both ended up being successful farmers in the area.
When I was growing up, we'd visit them about once a month. My folks stayed friends with the up until death.

They didn't want anything to do with the war, they were farmers, but they got yanked away from their families and made soldiers.

Edited to add: http://www.greeleyhistory.org/pages/pow_camp.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:51 am 

I have read somewhere that POWs, according to Geneva, have to be housed in approximately the same environmental circumstances, where they were captured. Which is why a lot of them were stationed in the NW and not many in GA. Cold.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 pm 

I understand why we did it, but The Grove Park Inn?!? I'll never spend the night there and we housed the enemy?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 pm 

Fort Drum (Pine Camp, as it was previously known) housed a number of German prisoners. I don't know if any escaped. Why would they want to? Where would they go?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:36 pm 

JD wrote:
Fort Drum (Pine Camp, as it was previously known) housed a number of German prisoners. I don't know if any escaped. Why would they want to? Where would they go?

According to the History Channel at the end of the war there were a total of 7 prisoners missing in the entire country.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 pm 

Uncle Jesse wrote:
That's an interesting piece. I knew that German POW's lived pretty well in camps across the USA with generals being sent to Jackson, MS. Their lives there were more luxurious than 99% of the populous, having air conditioned residences, which were not that common when I was a young boy growing up in Mississippi in the 1950's.

Lotta POW camps in Canada.

It's worth some research, and really interesting.

You'll find "Japan Bay" on a lake where Japanese prisoners were held, and I've stayed at a great resort where the ower's father was a German POW who came back as soon as he could after the war.

Claus still...in 2017...speaks English with a decide German accent...