Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:27 pm 

An interesting question at this stage of my life. If I could go back there are several that would receive much more emphasis and energy than they did the first time. I had typing in high school and again in Army AIT, I would probably have learned that on my one accord over time. I remember a friend from BCT and AIT who I worked as an OJT clerk with and typed with two fingers. When questioned by the CO about his technique he explained he was a pharmacy students and the two finger was more accurate. He said pharmacist frequently buried their mistakes.

Physic and chemistry have been very useful, although I learned more useful chemistry since college than in class. Business communication has been one of the most used. I would have liked to have had a really good speech class, but had a new graduate teaching his first semester.

And there was that one hour, no credit, course in sliderule that was handy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 pm 

From a professional standpoint, the chemistry - all of it, microbiology and specialized classes in food and meat science have been invaluable.

From a personal standpoint, the things that have helped the most weren’t learned in a classroom or from a textbook.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:23 am 

Wow, great subject. I would have to say Chemistry, and Anatomy and Physiology are things I use every day in my job. Pharmacology to some degree. Psychology also fits in there. Home Ec from high school has been invaluable in all of life.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 pm 

I'm another one that would say typing was probably the most beneficial to me of anything I learned in the classroom with my most useful education coming from the school of hard knocks and bruises. I have always been good at OJT type training and book larnin' not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:18 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
There you go! A single subject, but an involved one, has carried us into regions and solutions we faced later in life....our education never ends.

Just had an argument..nay, a discussion with the women that lives here....I noted that when Prince Phillip, of Battenburg, was to wed Princess Elizabeth of Windsor, his name was quietly anglicized to become Prince Phillip of Mountbatten. Good grief, our arguing at dinner has become a tradition of sorts. And, I know Mr. Gilmore will investigate this and comment if necessary.

Bux

Whomever took the side that Battenburg was dropped for Mountbatten is right. It's commonly understood history for folks that keep up with that British oddity of kings, queens, and madmen. But the Battenberg was dropped by the UK Battenbergs in 1917. Prince Phillip was not born in the UK. He was born in Greece and took the name Mountbatten from his mother's parents. I think his real name is Phillip Popoudopouloudoukousrourous

At any rate, Philip coukd qualify to be a New Yorkers: after all, Philip and Elizabeth are cousins, in addition to being married to each other. New Yorkers like that sort of thing.

As for me, the most useful classes were typing, income taxes, and woodshop.