Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Take care!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 am 

Prayin' all day and eatin' on the ground....as soon as the weather warms up in Georgia. It's a solid tradition that doesn't tolerate below 60 degrees....no matter how they spin it. You can bet Mr. Gilmore is so bundled up in layers of clothing that he'll need help to get up should he topple over.
18 here in Charlotte and it's getting tiresome.

Bux

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:00 pm 

Further North wrote:
Brian Greer wrote:
Apparently, the forum filter does not like the word a$$

Nope. But I knew what you were getting at anyway. I've had more than a little experience with forum filters over the years... :oops:

All it takes is some mid level trickery...and a moderator who won't kick your donkey for having a little fun... ;)

It helps when the moderator knows a lot of the tricks. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:10 pm 

Further North wrote:
Satchel wrote:
We’re supposed to get a warm spell tomorrow. High near
28. Warmest it’s been in 3 weeks. I’m going ice fishing.

What kind of flies do you use to catch ice?

so...anyway...

Ice Fishing.

When I think about it...the name fails spectacularly at creating any kind of positive impact.

No other kind of fishing is defined by what the people doing it are standing on while they fish. Or drink beer. Or whatever.

If I go fly fishing...people know I'm using a fly rod to throw very light "lures" at fish, in some form. Most immediately link it to trout...I blame "The Movie"...but that's OK.

If I go bass fishing...I'm fishing for bass. Same for musky fishing, pike fishing, tarpon fishing, salmon fishing, panfish fishing...even trout fishing...see above reference to fly fishing, trout, and..."The Movie". That all makes sense. Sorta. Anyone remotely familiar with any of those terms is instantly transported to a place where they are doing certain things in a certain way, hoping for a specific result...

But..."ice fishing"? Really?

Am I throwing ice at fish with a rod to try to get them to eat a hook? Good God...I hope not...

Am I fishing for ice? What would I use to catch it? It's not alive. It's not going to follow a lure, no matter how enticing I make it, even if I were able to tell it, "Hey. I'm gonna drop you in a crystal clear glass full of the best gin ever, maybe with a little Fever Tree tonic water, just to liven things up...and if you're really good, I'll toss in a lime...maybe put you in a glass and hand you to a leggy brunette in a short dress with a sparkle in her eye, looking forward to exactly the right kind of evening..."

Sorry, I got distracted...it's been really, really cold up here for a couple weeks...and my wife walked through and smiled at me...

"Ice fishing" doesn't create any of that kind of imagery. Ever.

We don't talk...or write...about "boat fishing", or "canoe fishing" or "standing on the bank sipping a cold one" fishing...even though the latter might be implied, or at least intrinsically understood...

Even spear fishing, which in the north can raise hackles along cultural lines and in salt water conjures images of free-diving sportsmen wearing fins and masks, braving the dangers of shark infested water to steal a meal from the sea with a primitive device powered by taut, quivering lengths of surgical tubing ready to launch a stainless steel spear at a grouper...while a moray eel and giant octopus lurk in the shadows...

"Deep Sea Fishing" at least pops a scene into our minds where rugged, oilcloth clad, bearded and weary fishermen wearing knee high rubber boots are battling pitching decks, roiling skies, waves breaking over the bow of the boat in a "Perfect Storm" kind of way...while they are attempting to fill the bellies of people thousands of miles away, and pay the bills on a rusty, dirty, damp trawler...

...but "ice fishing" even fails at that. It gets lost against the backdrop of bleak, flat, barren, windswept, sub-zero...nothingness...standing by a hole in the ice...Tell me you can't hear the wind howling right now...maybe even a wolf or three, off in the distance...

Maybe...if you ice fish...you might have an image on your personal movie screen of a community of shacks, tents, camper-looking things with holes in the floors, a battery (or generator) powered TV showing a football game while you and your buddies play cards, tell lies and check the time so you don't forget to leave in time to pick up a frozen pizza on the way home to the wife and kids. Toss in a few snowmobiles for ripping around the lake at high speed, and an ATV or two...

But trust me...no one else is seeing that. They're back up a couple paragraphs...on an upside down five gallon bucket, with the wind...and the wolves...and they can't really decide if a tiny, tentative tug on that really short fishing rod is better than wolves showing up and ending it all...I mean...they can't feel their hands...and all feeling below the waist went away an hour ago...

Let's not lose sight of the fact that a day on the ice can often produce a bucket full of the best ever, cold water panfish that...dropped into a deep fryer with a coating of egg and breadcrumbs...can make strong men beg for more...or a nice, fat, cold water...28" pike with incredibly tender, white flaky meat that, dipped in butter, just melts in our mouths...that's important stuff...but it's not...even remotely...described by...

...Ice fishing.

Sorry. Needs a makeover. A re-branding. Or whatever the marketing types are calling it these days.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:19 am 

Well FN, I did go ice fishing with a few friends yesterday. First time in a number of years with a couple of friends I used to go with a lot. We find it to be comfortable because we all have Carhartt arctic coveralls, and good boots. The solitude one feels on a frozen pond or lake is comforting, a welcome change from the shack nasties. While we didn't set any records with our catch we did manage to put 16 nice Bluegill in a sack along with 2 nice Crappie. Temp was in the 20's, breeze from the South. Needless to say we were all facing North. We fished a local farm pond of an acre or so. No snowmobiles screaming around to break the silence or interrupt the conversations. As for tackle, I used a 2 ft. long Schoolie rod and reel with 2 lb test. I tied on a size 10 fly with a chartreuse body and red thread head, tipped with a mousie. Overall a grand day spent outside in the fresh air with good friends and the beginnings of a fish fry we will all share this spring sometime.

Never turn your 5 gallon bucket upside down. Your beer will fall out. Simply place a standard boat cushion on top to sit on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:02 pm 

Dr. Trout Bum wrote:
Further North wrote:
Brian Greer wrote:
Apparently, the forum filter does not like the word a$$

Nope. But I knew what you were getting at anyway. I've had more than a little experience with forum filters over the years... :oops:

All it takes is some mid level trickery...and a moderator who won't kick your donkey for having a little fun... ;)

It helps when the moderator knows a lot of the tricks. :D

It do. ;) :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 pm 

Satchel wrote:
Well FN, I did go ice fishing with a few friends yesterday. First time in a number of years with a couple of friends I used to go with a lot. We find it to be comfortable because we all have Carhartt arctic coveralls, and good boots. The solitude one feels on a frozen pond or lake is comforting, a welcome change from the shack nasties. While we didn't set any records with our catch we did manage to put 16 nice Bluegill in a sack along with 2 nice Crappie. Temp was in the 20's, breeze from the South. Needless to say we were all facing North. We fished a local farm pond of an acre or so. No snowmobiles screaming around to break the silence or interrupt the conversations. As for tackle, I used a 2 ft. long Schoolie rod and reel with 2 lb test. I tied on a size 10 fly with a chartreuse body and red thread head, tipped with a mousie. Overall a grand day spent outside in the fresh air with good friends and the beginnings of a fish fry we will all share this spring sometime.

Never turn your 5 gallon bucket upside down. Your beer will fall out. Simply place a standard boat cushion on top to sit on.

Sounds like a decent day...

Any wolves? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:28 pm 

Some day when I have the time to dig it out of my archives, I'll post the tale of our very first selected, honorary, GOTC member, Mr. Rupert Jules Collins, of Plessis, NY, an established, legendary ice-fisher since childhood, and a hardy, and daring, outdoorsman.
Black Lake (NY) was, and is, a prime destination for avid, ice-fishermen....many of whom regularly drive their motor vehicles right out on the mid-winter thick ice to fish. Rupert was one of them ever since he earned his NY State driver's license at age 16.
When I first met "Rupe" at St. Lawrence he was a US Navy vet, and he later became a roommate and fraternity brother during my 4 years in Canton. "Rupe" was also the Tri-Delt sorority "houseboy", thus my wife knew Rupe as well.
Mr. Gilmore has also met Rupert and took part in his informal initiation into the the earliest days of the GOTC.

Bux

Last edited by Buxtehude on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:59 am 

Anybody else notice that Further North's posts are MUCH longer in the winter, especially when it super cold out?
He's got a lot more time in front of the keyboard :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 am 

Anybody notice that once he retired and was no longer posting on government time Ajax disappeared?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:42 am 

Colston Newton wrote:
Anybody notice that once he retired and was no longer posting on government time Ajax disappeared?

Hey, when I retire, the computer goes away and I'll have NO reason for another one. Posting from a phone is tough, so I'll probably be gone too. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next