Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:18 pm 

Somewhere, there is a snapshot of me, not quite 16 years old, going back to my job delivering groceries for the small store where I worked in north Mississippi with snow all around me. I did that for about a week, never got sideway, never skidded out of control or got stuck. Kept the 63 Ford Styleline pickup in 2nd gear most of the time. Admittedly my hometown is pretty flat and there was not much traffic.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:57 pm 

Colston Newton wrote:
Further North wrote:
course with various situations.

I wish they'd had that when I was a kid.

We did have something similar...a film distributed by, as I recall, the Ohio state police called "Signal 30". Lots of gruesome kids killed accident footage... made us not want to drive.

In case your education neglected it, here is Signal 30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mGPz2a5P_E

That's OK stuff - we had similar...but a not a substitute for behind-the-wheel time. My daughter had to go out there and drive...not just watch a movie.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:30 am 

my dad took me the the HS parking lot and made me slide and stop and generally muck around in the snow for an hour when i was learning to drive

driving in the snow here is just something we do november through april.....and sometimes in october, usually not in may

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:09 am 

I'm with you, Tim. Driving in snow is a pretty basic skill that can be learned. When I was in high school, a snow storm meant heading out in the truck. I love driving in the snow, but prefer to be in a place where others are also competent in this basic skill. Plus, 4WD is nice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:25 am 

I've driven in snow all my life and have only been scared one time.
I was working part time for the DOW and they were counting elk with the helicopter and I was tasked with pulling the fuel trailer up to where they were working. That was 500 gallons of jet fuel.

I couldn't go through Eisenhower tunnel, so had to go over Loveland pass. Well, the night before I left they had a huge snow storm and the pass had over a foot of fresh snow. It was icy and snow packed.

I was pulling this trailer with a mid 70's 4wd dodge pickup without anti locks or any of the cool stuff we have today. Running the trailer brakes by hand, steering the truck and pumping the brakes on it along with the clutch, I had my hands full I'll tell you.

Going up wasn't bad, but going down the other side my butt was so puckered that I could taste the seat.
My leg was shaking so bad that I really did have anti locks - haha.
Never again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:32 am 

only thing i hate now is night vision when it is snowing

we got our first quick hitter saturday......4-5" down along the river, home got more like 6-7"

we drove into town saturday evening and it wasn't too bad......but driving home at 1130 with the driving snow was a PITA even though the roads weren't bad (wife's yukon with brand new michellins rode pretty well).....i couldn't even consider turning on the high beams, the ride was like the millenium falcon jumpiing to warp speed.....i can't see shoot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 am 

All this talk of snow makes me wish we'd get some. This last weekend we took the Harley for a ride and I played a round of golf on Sunday (In a Tee shirt).
This week we're finally going to drop into the 40's for highs and snow isn't anywhere in the forecast.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:31 am 

Further North wrote:
That's OK stuff - we had similar...but a not a substitute for behind-the-wheel time. My daughter had to go out there and drive...not just watch a movie.

I moved to the Atlanta area as part of a fairly large relocation of corporate hdq. locations. If you had a current license you had to take the written test, along with a vision test to get a Georgia license. Several of my friend's wives did not pass the written test, although all of the guys I knew did. I remember missing one question and I still disagree with them on their answer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:30 pm 

Further North wrote:
Colston Newton wrote:
Further North wrote:
course with various situations.

I wish they'd had that when I was a kid.

We did have something similar...a film distributed by, as I recall, the Ohio state police called "Signal 30". Lots of gruesome kids killed accident footage... made us not want to drive.

In case your education neglected it, here is Signal 30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mGPz2a5P_E

With the regimen you described I thought the point was to put her off driving altogether. That's what the film was good for.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:54 pm 

Colston Newton wrote:
With the regimen you described I thought the point was to put her off driving altogether. That's what the film was good for.

Gosh no, it was to make sure she knew what her car would do in those circumstances and how to react to it.

PS: Partial proof roof she's my daughter...she had the best time through the wet skid pad slalom and the obstacle course at the end...