Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:12 pm 

Tonight a fellow brought a duck used on Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life." If the contestant said the secret word, the duck would descend with a check for $50. It remoinded me of an idea for a TV show I had about 30 years ago.

My idea was for a show called "Name That Race!". There'd be three contestants with buzzers and an article from a newspaper would be shown. The contestants, from the language in the article, would "Name that Race!" (Articles would include such giveaway phrases as the bride and groom's daughter, three year-old Lateesha, served as the Junior Bride." Sriously, stuff submitted to the p[apers had such things in them.)

The first contestant to "name that race" correctly would win points. If they used the currently correct term for the race they'd get a bonus lowered like the Groucho's duck except it would be a Mexican taking a siesta under his big sombrero. I never could get a producer interested.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:33 pm 

Don't look now, but your bigotry is showing. Mine shows also sometimes. Betting their mothers would say that racism is alive and well in the workplace, black women (primarily) give their children names that allow them to be screened by all employers without ever seeing the person.

Unfortunately, (IMHO) now there are more non-black couple have 3 year old children by time they get married.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:58 pm 

You're probably right UJ, Planned Parenthood most likely aborted the black ones as per Margaret Sanger's ideals.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:48 am 

Uncle Jesse wrote:
Don't look now, but your bigotry is showing.

Nah. I'm an equal opportunity bigot. I used the statement I did because I remember a wedding announcement sent to the paper that read like that. Announcements from other groups are just as revealing but none came to mind as I posted.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:57 am 

As a kids, most of us had folks that we looked up to, respected and tried to emulate. Often family members, parents, uncles, grand parents and family friends. Too many kids today aren't part of a traditional family and even other adults surrounding them are ill suited to be worthwhile, traditional role models.
How do we handle the end results of all that ? Immediate and long-term, far too many youngsters are sailing without a moral compass or even a sense-of-self.

Bux