Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Scotch Advent Calendar
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:54 pm 

Yes, Scotch, not Scottish.

Day 1 of Advent. Cameron and Jessica gave me an Advent Calendar with a twist: a Scotch for every day of Advent. Day 1: Glenfarclas 25 year old. The only 25 year old I can enjoy without getting into trouble. Ha ha.

(One shot per day.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:50 pm 

Some times, it is extremely difficult to walk away from an unintentional straight-line. However, being it the early days of the Christmas season, brotherly love, etc.....I am gentlemanly easing away from Mr. Gilmore's set-up....Merry Christmas old pal!

Bux

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:29 am 

does 1 shot = 3 fingers

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:34 pm 

All depends on diameter Tom.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:45 pm 

This collection was definitely assembled by a Scotsman. Each offering is a dram, 300ml. Those little airline bottles are 500ml. So it's not much.

Tonight's offering was a 13 year old single malt Irish whiskey.

Drinking 300ml reminds me of the story Laine told me of the Englishman, Irishman, and Scotsman who were all assembled at the bar in the hotel Laine was staying on the River Don.

It had been a warm day and flies were buzzing about. As it turned out, a fly landed in each of the gents' glasses.

The Englishman handed his glass back to the waitress and asked for a new glass of whisky.

The Irishman drank his glass, spitting the fly across the floor.

The Scotsman carefully removed the fly from the glass, then held it by its wings over the glass, shaking it severely and shouting "Spit it out, damn ye soul! SPIT IT OUT!!!"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:32 am 

Doug, you got one to many zeros in your numbers. 30ml = 1 ounce. The airline bottles are 50 ml. A dram is actually 1/16th of an ounce, or 60 grains. At 300 ml a dram would be 10 ounces, while appropriate for some Scots, Laine would need help finding his bunk....again..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:51 pm 

I just now noticed this attempt to besmirch my character....the truth was that the River House has a most rare "step-up" entry to the lavatory. In an unusual midnight "call of nature" that detail was overlooked, and I tripped. I grabbed for the towel bar to regain my balance and discovered that it was connected to the 3/8" sheet-rock wall, only by those little plastic expansion gadgets you fasten in the hole. Due to my agility, my head missed the sink and lightly caromed off the toilet seat...though the loaded towel rack fell as one might expect.
The two "gentlemen" in the room opposite offered comments similar to those above.
Mr. Defazio never mentioned it after the first year or so of relating the event to others when ever he could assemble an audience of two or more.

Bux

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:50 pm 

Doug never sat on a fence either. He's immaculate, apparently.

Brad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:58 pm 

Satchel wrote:
Doug, you got one to many zeros in your numbers. 30ml = 1 ounce. The airline bottles are 50 ml. A dram is actually 1/16th of an ounce, or 60 grains. At 300 ml a dram would be 10 ounces, while appropriate for some Scots, Laine would need help finding his bunk....again..

I had had several 30ml of something when I wrote. An extra zero was the result. Thank you for straightening my loop.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:08 pm 

Satchel wrote:

Yeah...that popped my eyes out too...300 ml is more than 10 ounces...but then I thought, "Why spoil his fun, as long as he doesn't drive!" ;)