Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:36 pm 

I can't, for the life of me, remember ever sexually harassing anybody and the only sexual harassment I can recall happened to me when I was a child.

Back when I was a kid, we'd come down home to Hague and wind up going to church at Yeocomico. There's always be an array of older women there and, in those days, older women actually looked older. They'd generally be heavyish and wore voluminous dresses, usually usually dark and often with polka dots. All of them seemed to have powdered their bosom areas with the same sort of lavender scented powder. It would puff out into your face when they'd hug you to their breasts saying, “Oh, how are you Darlin'?” Now, that was sexual harassment in my book. Let a man try something similar with female and see what happens provided he has enough money to make a lawsuit worthwhile or enough prominence to get the victim on television.

Over the years younger women have very occasionally made even more aggressive moves on me but I don't view them as sexual harassment. I've viewed them as invitations when I had missed more subtle signals. I once asked my secretary why women never made moves on me and she said, “They make moves on you all the time but you don't recognize them.”

There have been several incidents that might have qualified as sexual, harassment. For example there were the times, many years ago, when women took advantage of me in the backseat of my car in a church parking lot and in the lady's room of an American Legion hall. A woman might have felt harassed by that but, being male, other considerations overrode any embarrassment or fear I might have felt at the time and I ain't complaining.

I don't know if any gay guys ever made moves on me because if they did, I didn't realize it. I'm not gay in any way but from time to time I've fretted that I wasn't attractive enough for any of them to make a move. Gay friends have told me that gays can tell a person's inclinations and if you put off non gay vibes, they don't bother you. Well, if that's so, gays clearly have better manners than a lot of hetero males.

My obliviousness was created, I think, by my upbringing. I was taught never to touch anybody of either sex without clear invitation. To this day, that strikes me as the way a gentleman should conduct himself. It also makes me view the alleged sexual harassers as basically tacky if not downright white trash.

I have heard that redneck foreplay consists of the guy saying, “Get in the back seat.” Since there's no touching involved, I don't think that counts as harassment. What the current crop of alleged harassers are accused of is a lot worse than that. They deserve whatever they get not because of any actual physical harm they did, which has been generally nil, but because they are self absorbed no accounts they ought to be shunned by civilized society.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:03 pm 

I have a hard time arguing with any of the points brought up in your article Squire. Check the editing and publish it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:21 pm 

Usually repeated.

I'm sure I'm guilty of verbal sins, but not of unwanted touching sins. I was approached three times by gay males, once before I knew it and I'm guessing. Of the other two, I busted one and told the other one to get his tongue out of my mouth. :)