Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Family
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:27 am 

This is a good series on Netflix about the National Prayer Breakfast and the organization behind it. It talks about each president and how influential the leader of the organization, Doug Coe, was and how he worked behind the scenes with folks in Washington as well as leaders in other countries.

Post subject: Re: The Family
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:59 am 

I suspect I was overly influenced by "The widow's mite" but ostentatious religiosity has always been a tremendous turn off to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:11 am 

Colston Newton wrote:
I suspect I was overly influenced by "The widow's mite" but ostentatious religiosity has always been a tremendous turn off to me.

The rub is obviously going to be in your definition of ostentatious religiosity. The widow is certainly lifted up, as opposed to many of the religious leaders who seemed to do what they did out of ego, position and power. However, would you call Paul's public preaching ostentatious religiosity? His preaching to kings and their courts?

Not defending the prayer breakfast, not condemning it. I just wince in both directions - we can be like the pharisees, but we can also use them as an excuse ("I don't believe in organized religion") to not do some basic biblical things.

Not saying you are, just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:17 am 

4SeasonFisher wrote:
This is a good series on Netflix about the National Prayer Breakfast and the organization behind it. It talks about each president and how influential the leader of the organization, Doug Coe, was and how he worked behind the scenes with folks in Washington as well as leaders in other countries.

Thanks...I will check this out. I'm not very familiar with the event, except for the speech Eric Metaxas. He lays the wood on Obama while he was sitting 10 feet away. It's worth looking up on YouTube and watching.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:59 am 

Colston Newton wrote:

The videos are not trying to convert you, only to inform you of the religious organization and influence that has existed in Washington across all presidencies dating back to Eisenhower.