Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sous Vide cooking
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 am 

I mentioned this here a long time ago and was met with significant skepticism. To refresh your memory, this cooking method involves placing airtight, contained food in a hot water bath. It is then cooked by the heat of the water surrounding it. I have an immersion circulator that clamps to the side of a pot (can do large roasts, etc., in a cooler), which keeps the water at a constant desired temperature. With meat, the temperature controls the "doneness" and the time controls the texture. With meat, the usual process is to cook it this way and then finish it with some sort of sear at the end.

This thing has saved my life as I've lived in places with limited cooking capability. The place I've been staying this time at least has a gas grill, so I use that to sear my meats. I prefer a cast iron pan due to the amount of surface area contact and high heat capability, but the gas grill has done okay.

Here is an example of a ribeye I ate last night. It went in to the water bath at 129 degrees F for 1.75 hours. I put on some steak seasoning and seared it for a minute and a half on both sides with the grill as hot as I could get it.

I wish the sear was better, but I can do it much better at home.

What it looks like on the inside. Notice the lack of heat gradient - it's consistent from edge to edge. So tender, I could have used a butter knife to cut it.

Post subject: Re: Sous Vide cooking
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:04 pm 

I had a reverse sear steak last night, cooked by my wife. It was a little overcooked for my taste but still was tender and juicy. Still haven't bought a sous vide stick but probably will soon. Any who mock it don't deserve good food. Greg, you have to remember: most here are good people, they're just not as civilized as you or me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:48 pm 

Doug,

I tried to civilize them at the last GOTC. I used the Sous Vide machine to make creme brûlée. Gene couldn't understand what that meant, so I had to call it pudding.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:46 pm 

Sous Vide sounds like effete foreign cooking to me. I like American cooking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:47 pm 

Greg,
So is a vacuum sealer pretty much a must have for this?

I hear these are the best thing since sliced bread for couples who both work. My buddy tosses his dinner in it in the morning and it's done when they get home.
Since I work from home, I'm always here and just haven't seen the need for it.

For me it would be another "toy". What I REALLY want is that big flat top you have.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:29 pm 

If I had to choose between the two, the flat top would win hands down, but the sous vide is a fun toy.

You don't need a food sealer to use it. I don't have one. I use gallon-sized ziplock bags. You get the air out by dropping it in a water bath withe top partially open. Zip it up as you lower it to the top and the water pressure has forced the air out. I would definitely recommend a food dealer for large cuts, which is where this really shines. Cooking tough cuts for long periods of time can really tenderize them without turning them to mush, like a crockpot.

It's pretty good for vegetables like corn on the cob or asparagus- perfect texture every time. People use them to infuse flavors in olive oil or even drinks with it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:52 am 

Sous Vide in English means "crock pot."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:03 am 

I thought sous was an Amish food, sort of a head cheese.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:15 pm 

Gene L wrote:
Sous Vide in English means "crock pot."

It means "without victuals" - for you. Meaning you will have to feed yourself at the next GOTC. I can practically smell the potted meat from here...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:03 pm 

Colston Newton wrote:
I thought sous was an Amish food, sort of a head cheese.

Souse. We made it every year when we killed hogs. I used to like it.