Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Now, I can tell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:48 am 

Like all of us I've been hearing about all the sweeteners and stuff prepared foods have in them. This a.m. I inadvertently ran a test and realize how loaded they are.

For awhile, I've been eating instant maple and brown sugar oatmeal occasionally. This a.m. I instead made a breakfast of non-instant rolled oat oatmeal, allegedly Scottish. I added some brown sugar but it didn't overwhelm the oats and they were thicker and more filling. I realized just how much sweetener the instant jobs have. (FWW, the instant ones taste better...that's how they hook us on a sugar diet.)

Post subject: Re: Now, I can tell
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:54 am 

As I've gotten older, I like sweet flavors less and less. The other day, I put a pot of steel-cut oats on the stove and let them sit in water overnight. Cooked them the next morning, added a tad of salt, and served them with zero sweeteners. Just added some plain greek yogurt to the oatmeal. It was the best oatmeal I've eaten. No sugar to get in the way of the nuttiness of the oats and the yogurt gave it a bit of a bite that was perfect.

Of course we all have our own tastes. But the less sugar, often the better for me.

I generally have three eggs for breakfast now each morning, Monday through Friday. Just that, and a cup of joe. My cholesterol has been fine in my six month checks. Then yesterday, the doctors in some media release said eggs aren't good for you.

Quote:
The researchers calculated that those who ate 300 milligrams of cholesterol daily — about 1.5 eggs — were 17 percent more likely to develop heart disease than whose who didn’t eat eggs.

The researchers based their conclusions on what participants said they ate at the start of each study. They took into account high blood pressure, smoking, obesity and other traits that could contribute to heart problems. Risks were found with eggs and cholesterol in general; a separate analysis was not done for every cholesterol-rich food.

Dr. Bruce Lee of Johns Hopkins University, said nutrition studies are often weak because they rely on people remembering what they ate.

“We know that dietary recall can be terrible,” said Lee. The new study offers only observational data but doesn’t show that eggs and cholesterol caused heart disease and deaths, said Lee, who wasn’t involved in the research.

I know I'm in the minority here, but frankly, it seems to me that worrying about a few polyps or a PSA or whatever, gets you what? A couple of more years of eating bran, prunes, drinking weak tea, and pedialyte? I'd rather have a steak when I want, good old tater tots, fried eggs, biscuits and gravy once a month, and a pint of Haagen Daz Vanilla Swiss Almond when I decide I want one.

It's like you and smoking. You should quit, but seriously: at your age, what does it matter? If it makes you happy or you like it, then do it. Life has enough of its own hurdles to have to worry about hanging on.

Maybe I'm in a funk right now. My sister's death is still bothering me. It shouldn't, but then I have one brother who's being a horse's .... about it. I'm about to go off on him if he doesn't toe the line soon. He had the damned television stations out the other day, looking to stir up stuff to sue the doctors.

Sorry for the rambling. I'm blowing off steam.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:27 am 

Doug,
Studies are just something the government subsidizes to keep the unemployable employed ;)
For every one that says eggs and wine are bad for you, there is one that says they're good for you.

My God, how they like to confuse us with them.

Although, this one might be true. My mother ate 2 poached eggs on toast for breakfast at least 5 days a week. I'm sure that's what killed her at 99. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:31 am 

Years ago I ate like I had 2 butt holes.I would eat 2 double bacon and egg sandwiches every day,one at about 8 am and one at 11 or so.I started having sporadic pains in my side.One night at the bar I commented to my friend,who is a pharmacist and well read on common medical maladies,that I thought sitting at the bar was causing it,jokingly.He asked if I had my cholesterol checked lately.I hadnt.He said it sounds like I was developing gall stones,it starts as a sand like substance passing thru the gall bladder.Went and had it checked,my cholesterol was over 600.Cut out the eggs and it came down to normal.Went back to eating eggs till I started feeling that pain again.Gave them up for years after that.I do eat them now,but not like I used to,couple days a week.Just had a check up yesterday,we'll see what it is now.Its been hovering around 200 for the last few years,Dr is concerned,I'm not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:07 pm 

Douglas, having worked in the medical field for the last 27 years I can say that your post most closely reflects my own beliefs and ways. I'm gonna die one day. It might be tomorrow, it might be 35 years from now. Most likely in between sometime. I can guarantee you one thing, I'm gonna die happy, not eating things that taste like crap because they're made of 'Light" this and "Fat free" that.

I cook a lot. Last night I was in Fayetteville, Ar. at my sister-in-laws place after our big family reunion over the weekend. I made dinner of Skinless, boneless chicken thighs that had marinated overnight in Zesty Italian dressing. Did them over charcoal on a Weber, for those interested. I also got two bundles of fresh Asparagus which I did with onion caramelized in real butter, garlic, and baby Portobello mushrooms. I must say it was one of the best meals I've had in recent memory.

For those interested, the cocktail of the evening was the Moscow Mule. Good vodka, a teaspoon of fresh lime juice, and topped with ginger beer. Very nice refreshing cocktail.

Now if the paranoid folks who want to live to be 137 years old saw that menu they'd point out many things I did that are gonna kill me. But, like I said earlier. I'm gonna die happy...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:17 am 

Doug G wrote:
As I've gotten older, I like sweet flavors less and less. The other day, I put a pot of steel-cut oats on the stove and let them sit in water overnight. Cooked them the next morning, added a tad of salt, and served them with zero sweeteners. Just added some plain greek yogurt to the oatmeal. It was the best oatmeal I've eaten. No sugar to get in the way of the nuttiness of the oats and the yogurt gave it a bit of a bite that was perfect.

Of course we all have our own tastes. But the less sugar, often the better for me.

I generally have three eggs for breakfast now each morning, Monday through Friday. Just that, and a cup of joe. My cholesterol has been fine in my six month checks. Then yesterday, the doctors in some media release said eggs aren't good for you.

Quote:
The researchers calculated that those who ate 300 milligrams of cholesterol daily — about 1.5 eggs — were 17 percent more likely to develop heart disease than whose who didn’t eat eggs.

The researchers based their conclusions on what participants said they ate at the start of each study. They took into account high blood pressure, smoking, obesity and other traits that could contribute to heart problems. Risks were found with eggs and cholesterol in general; a separate analysis was not done for every cholesterol-rich food.

Dr. Bruce Lee of Johns Hopkins University, said nutrition studies are often weak because they rely on people remembering what they ate.

“We know that dietary recall can be terrible,” said Lee. The new study offers only observational data but doesn’t show that eggs and cholesterol caused heart disease and deaths, said Lee, who wasn’t involved in the research.

I know I'm in the minority here, but frankly, it seems to me that worrying about a few polyps or a PSA or whatever, gets you what? A couple of more years of eating bran, prunes, drinking weak tea, and pedialyte? I'd rather have a steak when I want, good old tater tots, fried eggs, biscuits and gravy once a month, and a pint of Haagen Daz Vanilla Swiss Almond when I decide I want one.

It's like you and smoking. You should quit, but seriously: at your age, what does it matter? If it makes you happy or you like it, then do it. Life has enough of its own hurdles to have to worry about hanging on.

Maybe I'm in a funk right now. My sister's death is still bothering me. It shouldn't, but then I have one brother who's being a horse's .... about it. I'm about to go off on him if he doesn't toe the line soon. He had the damned television stations out the other day, looking to stir up stuff to sue the doctors.

Sorry for the rambling. I'm blowing off steam.

I'm with you Doug. I am still moderating, but half of the food they told us would kill us is actually good for us....or it's not, depending on what you read.

2-3 eggs and slices of bacon for breakfast is going to be my new routine, along with some coffee. Also in that routine will be some weekly hiking in the mountain air.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:39 am 

Let me run this across to those who enjoy their bacon & eggs.....Some grocery stores now carry "pre-cooked bacon." It isn't "crisp" since it isn't fully fried to that level. You literally can get it ready to serve in the microwave (ergo) no greasy frying pans. The best deal can be had at Costco they sell it in bigger packages. It's always ready for breakfast, BLTs, liver....etc Now if you are really intent on "easy", finish it off in the frying pan and there will be just enough grease left to fry the eggs. Just the convenience of not having to deal with all the bacon grease makes it more useful and appealing. Bux..."born lazy".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:38 am 

Greg, if you get a chance to order some Benton's Bacon, from near where I was born, trust me: it's the best bacon you'll ever eat. Although you'll have to cook it. It does not come pre-cooked.

https://shop.bentonscountryham.com/Prod ... tCode=hscb

Regarding pre-cooked bacon: I'll take your word for it, EWL. I saw some pre-cooked bacon dog treats the other day.

I prefer to either fry bacon, or put it in the oven and oven-cook it.

All that grease gets collected and is reused. Bacon grease is priceless. How do you Yankees eat without Bacon drippings?

Every southern kitchen has one of these (well, maybe not the fru-fru kale, whole grain pasta eating comeheres):

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:12 am 

When I managed Crisco the product had been around for many decades and the scientists believed it was far safer than animal fats. That turned out to be horribly wrong, so Doug is safer using his bacon grease than he would have been using the Crisco I managed. (Crisco has since been reformulated and may now be safer than bacon grease, though much more bland tasting.) Yet another case of changes in the science of what is good for you.

At my age I am far more interested in how good it tastes than how healthy it is!

Brad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:51 am 

Thanks for the bacon recommendation...I will give it a try. Next summer, I plan to experiment with curing and smoking my own, once some other things in my life get settled.

Bacon drippings and lard....both probably better for you than the synthetic stuff. All things in moderation (some).