Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:10 pm 

The '67 Corvette I bought thinking it would be a great investment turned out to be the worst inve4stment of my life. It, and its brand new, more powerful engine, now belong to somebody in CA for a lot less money than I had invested in it. I was never going to break even on it, though, and just looking at it in my garage was giving me more heartburn than pleasure. I'm now glad to have it out of my life.

I am especially glad because I am truly enjoying two upgrades I promised myself for when the Corvette sold.

I was driving a Buick Encore I had bought because my late bride wanted an SUV with a brown dashboard. It had a ton of design flaws that caused me to hate it. For example, I could not read the dashboard at all during bright sunlight and I could not drive it with the back seats laid flat due to lack of front seat leg room. Total stupidity on the part of Buick's designers. I am now driving a 2017 Honda CR-V that is probably the best car I have ever owned as well as my last one. I normally prefer buying used cars, but this one had a major redesign for 2017 with things I really wanted. I am really delighted with it!

Then I moved my big screen TV to the guest room and bought a 65" LG OLED TV for the family room. Huge improvement, with a great picture and excellent soundbar built into it! I can't believe how much better this TV is for sports and movies. The OLED (organic light emitting diode) technology lets you see individual blades of grass while watching football!

Having said all this, I would happily give up both the car and the TV in return for being able to fly fish once again. But, alas, that just isn't going to happen, so I will settle for lesser ways to enjoy my remaining days.

Brad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:34 am 

Still got the Porsche?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:39 am 

Brad, it saddens me to hear about the Vette. Not many cars are good investments any more unless you can steal a barn find.

I hope your honda is more comfortable than ours was and a better driver. We just sold our Pilot and bought an Audi Q5 TDI. Best move I've ever made!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:58 am 

The Corvette was a beautiful car that won best in class at a big regional Corvette show. I had paid a dealer's Corvette mechanic to check it out before I bought it. What he thought was a bad head gasket was actually the sign of a totally rotten engine. The expenses involved with that were huge.

I still have the Porsche 928, which has proven to be a wonderful bargain. I love it! This weekend is the annual TX Hill Country 928 gathering where we go out in packs of about 10 cars, armed with radar detectors and 2-way radios, for some spirited driving. My 928 has won best in class there for 3 years so far.

The CR-V seems to be comfortable and a good driver so far. It is certainly not in the same class as an Audi, though. Glad you are enjoying the Audi, Gary. Your Texas trooper story is similar to one I had with an AZ deputy sheriff. I got a warning for tripe digits, then spent 5 minutes answering his 928 questions.

Brad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:51 pm 

Brad,
Back in July of this year the wife and I went shopping for a new car for her. We looked at the Honda CR-V and liked it very much. Then we went to the Subaru dealer and looked at the Forester and it was a toss up. Both cars were really nice and both had great ratings an both comparable in price. I told her it was up to her so she decided on the Forester. The deciding factor was the visibility on the Forester. Enjoy your new ride it's a very nice car.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:12 pm 

Great to hear from you again, Tony! Your wife will be even more pleased with her choice when it starts snowing. Subarus drive great in the snow. There was a game in Boulder where you tried to sit through a traffic light cycle without seeing a Subaru. That rarely happened. Snow is not a major issue for me here, though, so it wasn't a factor for me. When the roads get tricky I can just stay home.

Brad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:10 pm 

Not to get off on a tangent, but, Damn, Tony, it's good to hear from you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:45 pm 

Brad, glad you've still got the 928!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:41 pm 

I am in the Hill Country with it tonight, Tomorrow we will go out in packs of about 10 928s per, armed with radar detectors and 2-way radios, for some spirited driving. A highlight of my years these days!

Brad