A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RIP, Roy Clark
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:24 pm 

Complications of pneumonia at age 85.

Post subject: Re: RIP, Roy Clark
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:46 pm 

I did a search and found a couple of links to this story under a number of different banners,but also saw a few that claim its a hoax.Have always been a big fan of Roy.His playing was/is incredible.As a young guitarist in the late 60's early 70's we all recognized his talent,but nobody wanted to openly emulate him because he wasn't cool like Eric Clapton and the rest of the guitar gods of the day.I still watch Hee Haw every sunday night just to see him blow it away.Guitar,fiddle,mandolin,banjo,a virtuoso on everything stringed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:11 pm 

I was a country music fan and had worked in marketing for Crisco for a number of years. When I learned that the guy who replaced me in that position was planning to use Roy as the Crisco spokesperson, I told him that was a mistake as Roy had already had one heart attack. He asked me who I thought they should use and I told him Loretta Lynn was very proud of having won a county fair pie baking contest. I later saw this guy's resume and he highlighted his having invented the Loretta Lynn ad campaign for Crisco. :D

This was all back in the mid-80's, so Roy did well to last as long as he did. I am not sure, but I don't think the guy who "invented" that campaign is still with us.

Brad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:12 am 

Just saw the report on the local news,apparently the reports of this being a hoax was a hoax.RIP, Roy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:29 am 

Roy Clark was an amazing entertainer with the talent to do whatever he wanted in his industry. My father was a huge fan and we rarely missed Hee Haw on Sunday evenings.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:21 am 

Every so often, Roy Clark would treat the audience to a classical guitar solo. He was great - could have played with Segovia.

John

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:02 am 

RIP, Roy.

All I can offer past that is tha tis absolutely worth whatever time you have to wander down the "Roy Clark" rabit hole on YouTube.

If you run out of choices it's because you lack imagination...