Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Amazon
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:52 pm 

FN,They will obtain work visa's for how ever many workers they need from China.Looks like there will soon be a new "chinatown" in Eau Claire.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:27 pm 

Amazon has surprised everyone, from the citizenry to the investors. The time from their creation and establishment was short....and they are meeting a need that no one else saw. If you had stock up front, you would easily be able to stay home and let the bucks pile up. I saw the numbers in an article a few weeks ago and they were unreal. Bux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:51 pm 

NYFLY wrote:
FN,They will obtain work visa's for how ever many workers they need from China.Looks like there will soon be a new "chinatown" in Eau Claire.

Wanna bet? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:52 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
Amazon has surprised everyone, from the citizenry to the investors. The time from their creation and establishment was short....and they are meeting a need that no one else saw. If you had stock up front, you would easily be able to stay home and let the bucks pile up. I saw the numbers in an article a few weeks ago and they were unreal. Bux

Behind the curve.

Me too...but I bought Apple in 1998, so I don't care...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:58 pm 

Now you know why Sears & Roebuck, Montgomery Ward and all the other mail-order stores of yesteryear have gone to their unhappy hunting ground. They never dealt with UPS or any of the other services....and even many of those shipping services are barely keeping up.
Locally, our neighborhood sees Amazon delivered by more than one shipper....if it's fast and reliable it'll work...all of which has turned private companies that hustle and modernize leave the "old guys" in the dust. Here in Charlotte, if I ordered something from Amazon right now at 4:55 PM....it would be on the front porch by 3:30 PM tomorrow and the shipping charge is nil. Bux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:02 pm 

This year I'm thankful that Amazon didn't pick Denver. We've got so many people moving here already that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a car with out of state plates.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:54 pm 

I ordered the laptop I'm typing this on on a Friday night after a week or so of researching and pricing and all that stuff...

I figured it'd show up middle of the next week.

FedEx truck showed up on a Sunday, around noon...

...and we don't live in a metro area. Not even close...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:31 pm 

Folks, you are seeing the real world....that's how it works in a free country. The many growing corporations seek to expand where they can get the best deals....it keeps the "down-side" down and the "up-side" up...it's the obvious route to profit, not loss. The companies make money, the citizens have jobs and the states collect taxes ... everything comes up roses.
Let the Liberals screw around with it and the firms will go elsewhere ...no new jobs, no additional taxes and no improvements.

Best to get the system understood prior to getting on the soap-box with your shiny ignorant arse hanging out.

Bux

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:06 am 

Buxtehude wrote:
Folks, you are seeing the real world....that's how it works in a free country. The many growing corporations seek to expand where they can get the best deals....it keeps the "down-side" down and the "up-side" up...it's the obvious route to profit, not loss. The companies make money, the citizens have jobs and the states collect taxes ... everything comes up roses.
Let the Liberals screw around with it and the firms will go elsewhere ...no new jobs, no additional taxes and no improvements.

Best to get the system understood prior to getting on the soap-box with your shiny ignorant arse hanging out.

Bux

I'm hardly a liberal, by any definition of the word, and have been up to my hips in running a business all my adult life, that said...

If those "best deals" are funded with tax dollars without consideration of long term impact and costs, more damage than good is done.

To quote a guy I know: "Best to get the system understood prior to getting on the soap-box with your shiny ignorant arse hanging out."

A short sighted look at the system might look all rosy and full of rainbows and butterflies, but a stepping back and taking the larger, longer view will show anyone who looks under the rocks that politicians, and to some extent, corporations don't give a rat's red ass about long term. They care about what they think makes them look good now, or in the case of the businesses like Foxconn (emphasis on the "con"), what drives short term profits.

To understand the system, you have to understand what's going to happen 3 years, 5 years, 10 years and more down the road when the politicians are long gone (resting on beds of our dollars) and the corporations have come back to the well with extortion demands, or worse, simply closed up shop and left, leaving the communities to clean up the mess and deal with all the costs. And all the unemployed people. And the decaying infrastructure because the politicians blew the money on things we don't want or need. Short sighted, "Me First" people will do that, every time.

Locally, all the citizens who want to work are working, taxes are being collected and things are thriving. Trying to grow too fast can blow all that up in helluva hurry if you don't take the long view and play to win. Think for a moment about all the businesses you know of who tried to grow too fast? How many survived? Same thing applies to communities. I don't like those odds...