Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Amazon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:47 pm 

By now you know that Amazon chose to split HQ2 between NYC and the suburbs of D.C. Atlanta was not chosen.

Now personally, I'm fine with that. Amazon was engaging in corporate extortion and Atlanta was willing to pay. Now New York gets to pay 2 billion for half an Amazon HQ2. They'll probably rename Gracie Mansion, Alexa Hall.

I'm glad Amazon isn't coming to Georgia. Turns out that Amazon and Jeff Bezos aren't very smart.

The word is that Amazon was concerned about the cost of housing in Atlanta. So they chose Queens and metro D.C.

Yep. Someone at Amazon has problems with math.

BTW, Amazon never considered Charlotte, NC. They had a literacy requirement.

Post subject: Re: Amazon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:52 pm 

"BTW, Amazon never considered Charlotte, NC. They had a literacy requirement."

Who? Charlotte?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:35 pm 

Charlotte has [*]ten correction [*]forty seven residents who can spell literacy. They are all related to Ed Laine either by marriage or blood, including EWL.

Correction made due to recounting provisional ballots cast in Mecklenburg County.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:56 pm 

I'm glad Dallas didn't get it either. We already have an exploding population, with the expected impact on housing costss and traffic. There are areas that would have benefited from Amazon. Atlanta, DFW, metro NYC and metro DC are not among them.

Brad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:15 pm 

$1.5 billion ($48,000/ NYS Taxpayer) in tax incentives from New York to one of the richest companies ever.
Who needs bridges when you can have Helipads. It's not popular already.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 am 

Hipper wrote:
$1.5 billion ($48,000/ NYS Taxpayer) in tax incentives from New York to one of the richest companies ever.
Who needs bridges when you can have Helipads. It's not popular already.

Depending on who you believe,Daily News says 1.5 billion,NY post says 2.5 billion,I think that 48k was per employee,not per taxpayer.Our idiot leaders claim it will create 25,000 jobs,I have to wonder how many of those employees will be imported,and not actually got to NY residents.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:24 am 

I would like to know why they say it is "costing" the city or state that much per employee. Usually these tax breaks are just total amounts of taxes that are foregone, they will not be paid for x-number of years. So it isn't really costing them anything; instead it is creating a huge economic stimulus and some economic growth.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:39 am 

and more damned Liberals voting in Virginia.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:45 am 

4SeasonFisher wrote:
I would like to know why they say it is "costing" the city or state that much per employee. Usually these tax breaks are just total amounts of taxes that are foregone, they will not be paid for x-number of years. So it isn't really costing them anything; instead it is creating a huge economic stimulus and some economic growth.

Exactly. The city is gaining additional economic activity, more high paying jobs to tax....a rising tide lifts all boats, as they say.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:59 pm 

The Wisconsin version of this is a company called Foxxconn.

Emphasis on the "con".

WI is giving them 3 billion - yeah, with a "B" - to put a facility in down near the WI/IL border.

They want to open an other facility near us, in Eau Claire. Don't know where the hell they're gonna get people from, unemployment is about 2% and I can't recall the last time it popped above 4% for more than a couple weeks...so costs are going up, for everyone...cuz the only place they're gonna get people is be stealing them from someone else...which will take more $$$, in some form or other.

Meanwhile, back at the state line, no one seems to have figured out that these folks (Chinese company by the way, so "contract" is really only the first step in a negotiation) have WI over a barrel, and in a few years when their they need more cash to fun equipment changes or whatever...they'll be back with their hands out and a "Pay me or we'll leave" demand.

...it gets better: Kimberly Clark saw this, and is already at the capitol with their hand out saying "Pay us or we'll leave!" for a couple of facilitates in the Fox Valley.

Morons...