Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 am 

The Librarian and I joined friends on Sunday for our area's "Oyster Crawl." In it, you visit local wineries, taste their wares and eat oysters they have prepared. At one, we had Oysters Rockefeller and oysters prepared as "Cackalacky" in which all sorts of stuff is cooked atop the oysters. The thought occurred to me that people have spent a lot of brain power finding ways to hide oysters' texture and flavor. I suspect that's why most gourmet dishes are invented.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:57 am 

The thing about raw oysters that a lot of people do not realize, is that a raw oyster, as served, is alive. I don't have a problem with that, but the squeamish may.

On a side note, the animal rights people have been raising sand about the practice of steaming or boiling lobsters while they are still alive. The Swiss government has banned the practice. A restaurant in Maine was putting its lobsters in a chamber with marijuana smoke to chill out the lobsters before dumping them into the steam kettle.

Of course, abortion is legal in Switzerland.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:11 pm 

Steaming oysters, lobsters and crabs makes me queasy, too, but I still eat them.