Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:16 pm 

My grandfather was getting ready to head to Europe during WWI when he contracted the Spanish flu. He survived and they changed his orders to Washington DC doing office work. Apparently they used soldiers who were already passed the flu for administrative work in DC to avoid spreading it here.

My uncle was a glider pilot near the end of WWII. He was part of the group staging for the invasion of Japan when we dropped the nukes. He always said the atom bomb saved his life.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:49 am 

Five of my ancestors (3 Gilmores, 2 Lyles) were in the group of OverMountain men who went to King's Mountain to put an end to Ferguson's threats on America. Two of them (the Lyles) were actually at King's Mountain on October 7, 1780. All of them were at Cowpens and at Guilford Courthouse.

A great-uncle (Gilmore) was a Captain in the 10th Tennessee (USA) in the War between the States. Another Gilmore was a sergeant in the same unit, Yet another Gilmore was a private in the Confederate Army, and died in the POW camp in Camp Butler in Illinois (Springfield).

A great-uncle (Lyle) was on the Luisitania. His brother, my Grandfather, couldn't serve - asthma, so he went to Florida and was a missionary to the Seminole Indians for three years (1917 to 1920). Another brother (great uncle) Sim, served with the 2nd Division. Susan's great uncle, Paul Bradley, was a doctor on Pershing's staff and died of pneumonia as a complication of the Spanish Flu in 1918 in France.

My father was at D-Day and served in Europe until December 1945.

Two older half brothers served in VN: the oldest did three tours and was a career soldier.

I served seven years, was going to be a career soldier, but met my wife and decided that I'd get out as what I liked doing did not lend itself to successful marriage. Spent 2 nights, 3 days at Danang Air Force Base in VN, guarding a 707. Spent 8 weeks chasing guerillas in central America. Spent a year on the wall in Germany, drinking beer when I wasn't on the wall. Spent three years with the 101st at Fort Campbell, KY and three years in Georgia. I was the youngest E-5 (Sergeant) in the Army when they handed me my stripes and the youngest E-6 when they pinned those on. And then I went to college and was the oldest in my class.

Those were the days.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:00 pm 

Well done Mr. Gilmore.
I did two years teaching at the Provost Marshall Generals School at Fort Gordon, Georgia. No one ever shot at me on purpose nor did I ever shoot at anyone at all. I was on the PMGS rifle team as a participant All competition was with the .30 cal. M1 Rifle*. Worst danger faced was Georgia's miserable heat and humidity.
Bux
*That's where I earned my hearing aids.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:14 pm 

I was a Chairborne Ranger and operated an LMD. (Large Metal Desk.) Most danger I was ever in was being caught in a Pentagon hall and being confronted by a 2nd.Lt riding in a golf cart operated by a Speedy 4 coming my way.

Oh. I forgot the time on a pistol qualification range while in the reserves that a fat JAG whose regular job was with the IRS turned around with his .45 aimed at me complaining that it hadn't fired. I dashed to him and hugged him to make sure I was inside his arms and then advised him what to do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:56 am 

I don't believe that military service itself ever hurt anyone. The discipline, both given and received, is a useful experience, and mostly, a positive one.
You'll learn a lot about people by observing how they react and deal with discipline....applying and receiving both. Bux

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:09 am 

My father was raised as Virginia aristocrat. He always said the Army was the best experience of his life. He said he standing in line in his skivvies with men from all sorts of backgrounds and realized he was no different or better than they were. He conducted himself accordingly for the rest of his life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:09 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
I don't believe that military service itself ever hurt anyone. The discipline, both given and received, is a useful experience, and mostly, a positive one.
You'll learn a lot about people by observing how they react and deal with discipline....applying and receiving both. Bux

Agree.

Both my parents served.

I got turned down, deaf in one ear. Made sense, but it still stung.