Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A tradition continued.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:06 am 

"The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" The tradition continues at my house.
The flag was out at 0700.
Charles William Wild Sergeant. Company C., 9th Field Signal Bn. 5th Division, U. S. Army, 4/17/17 to 8/19/19 in Arnould, St.Die, Frappelle, St.Michel, Argonne-Meuse. Cited for gallantry in action on General Orders no. 11, 5th Division, 12/31/1919. Uncle Charlie went through some early schooling in German* and he spoke it fluently. He was thus given the duty to string and repair the communication lines in "no man's land". He was wounded doing just that. He said he was never sure who shot him - The German's when they heard his English...or the Americans when he spoke German. He was a character. He was my godfather.
Bux

*Charlie went to school on Long Island, and the German immigrants insisted that both German and English be taught in the grade schools and high schools...the kids could then do the translating for their parents when required.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:30 pm 

Three of my uncles fought in WW1. Some of them got wounded by MG fire.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:53 pm 

My father and literally every man of his age group from Cople Distrct, Westmoreland County ,Va., went to WWII. I and my sons were fortunate enough to know many of them. On the tarmac, awaiting loading for Desert Storm, Coley, a young private his mother and me a letter. He said he was scared to death but he was thing about all those old heads and "if they could do it, I can too."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:01 pm 

Squire,
That so many young men in many families served in our wars was common back then. My father's older brothers, Ted and Frank, and Mom's brothers, Charles (Army) and Fred (Navy) who was in both WWs. Even a few grand uncles were in it. My wife's dad too was in France in the same outfit that a grand-uncle of mine was, though, to our information, they never knew each other. Bux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:33 pm 

Dad was in Gulf War I. Two or three uncles in the Korean War. Several Uncles and a grandfather in WWII. And a grandfather in WWI. That's about as far back as I know of.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:46 pm 

My sons have ancestors who served in almost every conflict starting with the French and Indian war. I flunked the physical for Vietnam, though.

Brad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:15 am 

4 of the 5 Uncles on my mother's side served in WWII. One was airborne and jumped on D-day. He landed in a hedgerow and broke his leg. That ended his war. Another Uncle, Eli, worked in the motor pool. One day a mightily pissed off general came rolling in and said he needed a driver. He asked my Uncle if he knew how to drive a Jeep. That is how Uncle Eli ended up driving General Patton around during the battle of the Bulge. I became of age when Viet Nam had just ended. I graduated High School and went to work. I often wonder what military service might have done for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:12 am 

My grandfather on my dads side served in WW1 as well as his 2 brothers.My dad served as a machine gunner attached to an LST in the Pacific for almost 4 yrs as well as 2 yrs in Korea.Interesting situation,growing up in Bklyn NY my upstairs neighbor,Jim Murphy,was my dads best friend all my life.Jim was a marine in the Pacific during WWII.When I was young all the war movies,tv shows always depicted sailors and marines as being "unfriendly" towards each other.When I asked Jim how he and my dad became friends,he told us that in the war,every landing they made the machine gunner on the Higgins boat was my dad.He said when "we went over the side on the beach,the only one returning fire was the gunner on the boat" as they were all trying to stay as low as they could as the crawled up the beach,so these sailors "got a pass".After the war,Jim moved from Illinois to Bklyn to be near his buddy.When I was growing up and things started in Nam,it was kind of drummed into my head that this would be "my war".When I graduated high school at 17 I wanted to enlist,but my dad wouldnt sign off for me.Said he wouldnt send me off to war as his parents did when he was 17.I turned 18 in Dec of '73,recruiter told at that time there was zero chance of getting to Nam,as the war was pretty much over for the US and they were pulling out.At the time,I saw no point in military service with no war going on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:19 pm 

Lt. Leon Caler, my great uncle, was lost over the Mediterranean May 1, 1943 returning to North Africa from a bombing run over Italy. 345th Bombardment Squadron, 98th Bombardment Group. If I recall it was a mid air collision. All others seemed to have been exempted or missed being drafted.

My ancestors are all from Maine, so please note that the borders of New Hampshire, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and the Atlantic Ocean have remained steady for the last two centuries. The Caler's have held up a pretty solid defense of our northeast frontier. One Uncle did an armed solo invasion of New Hampshire once, he got lost, err turned around, deer hunting. Claimed it was the first time he left Maine in his first 50 years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:04 pm 

Brad: I thought your crowd was fighting with Llywelyn ap Gruffudd way back when.