Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: This is killing me
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:00 pm 

Dropping back to standard time is giving me a fit. The clock says it's 8 p.m. and my body says it's 9 and near bedtime. Durn, it's aggravating.

Post subject: Re: This is killing me
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:16 pm 

Have another half glass of Ezra.... you'll get over it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:41 am 

As I recall, they started Daylight saving time during WWII to provide more production and agricultural time by taking advantage of the longer days of summer. It was a PIA back then and it still is. What's the point of it today? It is hardly a valued tradition.
Start a revolt, Squire....now that you have the extra time handed to you. Bux

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:45 am 

We, the working people in America, prefer that we stay on Daylight Savings year-round. It's nice to get home while it's still daylight.

Y'all, the retired people in America - what y'all complaining about? You get up when it suits you. You eat supper at 4pm. You go to bed when it suits you. You gripe about everything. Millennials complain less.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:55 am 

Doug, Daylight Savings all year would be OK. It's the change that aggravates me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:23 pm 

I thought that "Millennials" were those who spent too much time trying to figure out what they believed in since not all that much positive happened to identify their arrival or vague purpose for showing up.
They seem to be like aged kids with a little shovel and a bucket only to discover that everything has been paved, built, solved or laid to rest years earlier. Nothing to do but to bitch and moan, march, create T'shirt slogans or spray paint the sidewalks and walls: Involutional melancholia seems to cover much of it.
Bux

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 pm 

I was going to say something about those without jobs complaining about trivialities, but I see Ed beat me to it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 pm 

DTB,

You forgot you were dealing with a Sociology/Psychology major from a university in the North Country of NY, who just happens to be wed to an inflexible* English major from the same school ....
I never have a moment of pure relaxation except my time on the water...or throwing a ball for the dog....or, sipping my evening martini or scotch. (note: singular, but glass size varies.)
Our daughter went there as well, and she is one women you do not wish to challenge about anything.
Thus, here I hover, wounded but still walking,
Bux

* Throw in Roman Catholic and you do not want to even stick your big toe into the water around here.
I'll admit though, I wouldn't change a thing! I'm a happy man....often enough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:28 am 

Throwing the ball to the dog heals most wounds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:32 am 

Greg,
My "Aviva" is a Belgian Sheepdog....she has genes for running...all day long if required. Since we don't own any sheep to herd nor do we have a pasture... we play ball a minimum of four times a day...though she prefers to decide when each "game" is to be concluded, I usually call a halt when I feel she's reaching her physical limits of endurance.
Here's a tip for you dog ball players....go buy a KONG ball from your pet shop or on line. Don't buy the big one - get one that the dog can grab and hold. Now get a 2' length of parachute cord. Make a loop. Tie a knot and a washer to the knotted end. Pass the the loop up through the interior of the ball through the smaller hole at the top. Last, tie a knot in the exposed end tight to the ball. You can figure things out from there.
It's much easier on the arm, and you'll get more distance than if you just tossed a ball. Bux

Added benefit: The parachute cord generally stays clear of drool.

Last edited by Buxtehude on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.