Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:30 pm 

Typically.....

1. How many fly boxes, pouches, etc., do you carry to the river in pockets, vest, pouches, etc. ?
2. On any given day, about how many patterns do you actually put to use?
3. If you were required to limit your flies to five (5) patterns, what would they be ?
4. Be honest now...if you only took those 5 patterns would your daily catch really lessen ?

Bux

I'll unload first:
4 fly boxes and one pouch.
6 to seven patterns
5 Patterns: Prince nymph, IPW, Caddis (black and tan), Adams and Pheasant Tail.

Most days I don't think so....but there are those rare days that would drive anyone nuts....the trout are obviously gobbling something, I don't know what and can't find out.

Last edited by Buxtehude on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:18 pm 

I'm not going to get up to count them but to the best of my recollection I carry 4 small boxes, three large ones and a couple of really small ones. The reason for so many is that several contain a lot of just one pattern or type. For example, one small Perrine box has nothing but Prince nymphs and another nothing but IPWs. One tiny box has really tiny dries and another really tiny nymphs. The larger boxes are full of dries and streamers,

On a day when the fish are cooperative, I'll usually use two patterns or even just one if they are hitting what I start with...Prince or IPW. If they aren't hitting them, I might go to dries, Murrays Mr. Rapidan, light Cahills or Adams. On deeper, slower water...the Swimmimg Hole at Meadow Lane.. I might go to Harassers.

5 Patterns: Prince, IPW, Mr. Rapidan, Light Cahill, Adams.

I don't think limiting to those 5 would effect my catch but I'd worry all day that I'd want to use something I don't have with me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:37 pm 

Edward,
Years ago I carried everything and the kitchen sink. Now, I mainly throw dries only. I don't enjoy tossing nymphs. I know I miss out on a lot but it is what it is.
So to answer your question I'll carry two boxes of dries with some buggers mixed in.

Stimulators
Adams in variuos sizes
Ants
Caddis black and tan
Bwo in many sizes

My favorite hatch would be sulphers. On the Beaverkill the hatches are thick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:04 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
Typically.....

1. How many fly boxes, pouches, etc., do you carry to the river in pockets, vest, pouches, etc. ?
2. On any given day, about how many patterns do you actually put to use?
3. If you were required to limit your flies to five (5) patterns, what would they be ?
4. Be honest now...if you only took those 5 patterns would your daily catch really lessen ?

Bux

1) Two. But they're big. Really big.
2) Usually seven or eight
3) 3 Baifish patterns, Mr. Wigley, Popper.
4) Absolutely. I seldom figure out what the fish are eating best in the first five tries...and it changes throughout the day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:16 pm 

There are two streams I fish now, the Fall River that is a spring creek flowing into the upper Deschutes River. This super clear and not very wide gorgeous stream is 7 minutes from my house. For that water I fish a 9’ 3 wt rod, and carry one double sided fly box with dries in sizes 16-24 and nymphs, two spools of tippet, 6X and 7X. The Owyhee River lies along the SE border of Oregon. The trout fishing starts from the dam and the good fishing extends about 7 miles downstream. I fish this river with a 5 wt for small dries and 6 wt for foam terrestrials and streamers. I carry two fly boxes, both double sided. One is stuffed on one side with foam terrestrials, the majority of which are grasshoppers in sizes from 8 to 4. The other side of the box is reserved for streamers. I have never caught a fish on the Owyhee with an across or downstream cast. Only an upstream or a cross upstream cast seems to be effective. I have caught Rainbows over 8 pounds and Browns over 6 using this technique. The other box has Caddis tied in down wing as Fred provided me several years ago in sizes 16-20 (18&20 seem to be the best. It also has a large number of Blue Wing Olives Parachutes in sizes 18 and 20 with a pink wing/post for visibility. Other dries include Callibaetis in size 16, and several deer hair nonstandard “bugs” normally used as indicators for tiny chronomids. On the other side of this box are aforementioned chronomids in sizes 18-22, all bright red with the smallest Christmas Red tungsten bead. There are also Caddis, Hairs Ear, Callibaetis, and a small brown nymph with a yellow wing case. The yellow is enamel painted on with an pinhead. I carry 2x, 4x, 5x & 6X tippet, a couple of spare leaders, normally 5x for use with tippet and dries or nymphs. I carry 1x and 2x when fishing in big trout spots. Other than that I have a fishing necklace with nipper, plier, tippet spools, Fly floatant and leader sink. The fly boxes go in the large chest pockets of my fishing shirt. The smaller pockets hold the leaders. The other large pocket carries my camera, sunglasses and a lense cleaning cloth.

I’ll be fishing the Owyhee this fall where I can regularly catch 18 to 20+” browns on foam grasshoppers and dries. The plus this year is I have a deer bow tag that includes almost all of eastern Oregon. There are a lot of nice Mule Deer bucks in the fishable area of the Owyhee, most of which is public property.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:45 pm 

Only nine boxes...if you don't count the flat PVC variety...and don't tally the insignificant small jars, the plastic pill boxes and the mint candy boxes and such. If the Good Lord chooses to move some Atlantic salmon down here, I'm ready for them! :!: :!:

Bux