Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Off to the great North
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:39 am 

Leaving later this afternoon with my friend Jim for Wellston, Mi. for a couple of days of Steelhead fishing. Just so happens today is my birthday and I can't think of a much better present than this. Wish me luck and I'll report back in a couple of days hopefully with pictures that will rival MLS'.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:49 am 

Tight Lines, good fish, fine company.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:15 am 

Happy Birthday...Catch a bunch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:59 pm 

Happy Birthday and good luck!

John

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:45 pm 

Have fun, and good luck...

...but that's not north...

@44.213333 Latitude, you're still 0.827938 degrees (or 57.127722 miles) south of my front door... ;)

Not that I'm frustrated by 2+ feet of ice on my lakes and dying to get on open water or anything...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:43 am 

Great trip!! Arrived Monday evening with plenty of time for cocktails and dinner. Tuesday 7:00AM our Guide, Dave Barkman, who owns D-Loop outfitters in Wellston, Mi. picked us up at our door. Of course the first stop is Annie's Kozy Kitchen for breakfast. Just a little small town café that serves breakfast and lunch. Tuesday on the river was quite pleasant. Temp in the 50's and a light breeze. We started the morning off Spey casting swinging big spey flies. Jim had one good fish on the line for a bit, and I had two very fishy bumps. A couple of small rainbows to the boat was all we could manage. We also went back in a little bayou through a channel off the river and cast BIG flies with 10 wt. rods for Pike and bass. Fun, but no takers. Lunch prepared on the grill on the boat while still fishing (Dave is a very talented man in my book) was pork chops, mixed veggies, and garlic toast.

Tuesday evening a quick trip to the Dublin General store for some chicken and baking taters for dinner. Back to the cabin where cocktails were enjoyed while preparing dinner, which was very good.

Wed. on the river after breakfast at Annie's as usual. Not as warm on the river, cloudy, more wind. Over the course of the day we drifted egg patterns under indicators, which yielded one decent Brown trout. Pitched big Streamers with 8 wt. rods and sinking lines, which yielded a very nice Brown, and swung spey flies with the big rods again which produced several solid bumps and one fish on for almost a minute, but no fish to the boat. I had a nice Steelie on the indicator rig which we did get a good look at but he came unhooked too. It's just something they do on small flies. I will work on posting a couple of pictures later today. Not huge fish, but one that MLS would have been proud of.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:11 pm 

Sounds like a buncha fun.

Signed, jealous in the Great, finally not, White North.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:29 pm 

It's always great to be out with friends anymore than one day is a real treat. Sure sounds like you enjoyed yourself Satch.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:08 am 

Here are links to a couple of pictures from this week on the Manistee. Not the biggest fish in the ocean but a couple of nice Brown Trout.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b07cr4800j6y6 ... .JPEG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wthbcpo6tmbxa ... .JPEG?dl=0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:37 am 

I Know a guy that fishes that river a fair amount...you done good!