Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New 'boo arrived
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:06 am 

After quite some confusion, the new bamboo rod I mentioned recently arrived today. I know it was likely made in Sum Dum Chump, China, but it is quite handsome. It 8', 3-piece with two tips with a Payne 200 taper, It's a blond 'boo has red wraps tipped with black with a good looking walnut downlocking reel seat. The only flaw I see is that they leaned on the wraps making them bulgy rather than flat. It's rated for a 4 weight and, altho its windy today, it performed pretty well on the lawn. A slow action...likely frustrate me when I need just a few more feet to a cast, but lots of my rods do that. It doesn't have the authority of my 4-piece graphite 8-footer for 4 weight, but its OK.

The confusion arose when Johnny Kuehn at Anglers Roost sent the Phillipson I'd ordered to somebody else and then offered me this Payne as a replacement. He did throw in a substantial rod tube to make up for the mistake. The tube will be great once I glue the bottom cap back in so it'll stay in place.

Post subject: Re: New 'boo arrived
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:19 am 

Colston,

If that Payne is true to taper, you will like that 200.

The wraps are bulgy because they use an epoxy on the wraps. It speeds things up when making the rod.
It's just small aesthetics. It really has no negatives when it comes to performance.

I say string it up and go to town.....er, the stream.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 am 

I already like it. We'll see how I feel after GOTC.

Of course Sante ruined me when he let me cast that Kushner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:46 pm 

Colston,

As you know, you may well be able to throw more line with that rod than not once you slow down to it's pace. That's one reason I love that Phillipson glass rod I have, as well as that LL Bean rod I bought at the GOTC a couple of years back (graphite rod made to mimic the action of a glass rod). Both rods are very comfortable to cast and can cast a mile once when I slow down and cast them as they were made to be cast.

Sounds like you might have gotten a decent little rod on your hands. I have read good things about that taper. As long as it's durable, what's not to like about it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:55 pm 

Squire,

I don't give a flying hoot what you are casting with...if it encroaches on my water I'll throw rocks at the butt end of that frigging Chinese stick.
Bux