Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 pm 

I just got thinking, after an ad I ran across, that we dressed less with style back in the 1950s. We opted for comfort...but we all agreed with what comfortable footwear was acceptable:
Dirty white bucks and Clark's Desert boots filled the bill for those 4 or 5+ years. Both of these originals were made in England. Grey flannel slacks, wool blue blazers & rep ties...add to that, a nice tweed sport coat.. what else will we ever need? We soon discovered that we did not need anything more....ever. We were perfect...as we still are.

Bux

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:54 pm 

We needed Weejuns and khakis.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:56 am 

I'm still wearing the same thing that I wore in the '50s. Blue jeans, white T shirt and Converse tennis shoes..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:23 am 

A blue blazer, a pair of Sebago Penny Loafers, a Brooks Brothers Shirt and a pair of Khakis. You could go to about anything in that.

Clarks Desert boots? Only for those with flat feet. Those things had/have no arch in them. Had a pair for one hour. Took them back. Same way with Converse AllStars - made for people without arches.

My wife was born in the 50s - she's perfect. Everything else in the 50s, especially those manufactured in the 30s and sent out into the world in the 50s, were designed with fundamental flaws. You can tell someone who graduated from college in the 50s, but you can't tell them much and you can't tell them anything they'll listen to.

Seriously, I think it must have been an interesting time. Fella is born in the first half of the thirties. He grows up listening to Big Band Music. He gets to college about the time Ike Turner and Little Richard invent this new thing called Rock and Roll. By the time he graduates from college, Elvis Presley has 6 songs in the top 10. Ten years later, some long haired Englishmen are singing about how they can't get no satisfaction. Talk about English Culture. Three years after that, women are shedding bras, skirts are shorter than shorts, and the fella has traded his tweed jacket in for a Nehru Jacket. Four years later, he's wearing Sansabelt slacks and a Leisure Suit.

I've said that Ed's Generation and my generation have seen more changes than any in history before or, likely, since. We all remember horses and wagons, telegrams, and party line telephones and computers made of slide rules and abaci. First there were astronauts, then interstates, then calculators, then desktop computers, cellphones, the internet, beepers, faxes, and the Cloud.

More unbelievably for today's young folk, we remember when flying in Coach on a Commercial Airline was a grand thing and even riding a bus wasn't terrible.

But I recall my grandfather telling me in 1967 or 68: "Son, one of these days the rabble will take over and that'll be a sad day."

Saw a fellow board a plane a couple of months ago, wearing pajamas. I've watched a President tweet like a 13-year old hormone riddled spoiled brat. And the ACLU and the Fourth Estate join in celebrating the FBI trampling the Fourth and Six Amendments.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:38 am 

Clarks Desert boots were called "fruit boots" back when I was wise enough to not buy them. Possibly a local thing, I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:40 am 

J Prettyman used to sell them as "Brothel Creepers".