Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Oops
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:20 pm 

I have zero suggestions for dipping a rod into some convenient container filled with cheap varnish.
This entire project reads like a child's set of inter-locking building blocks. Regardless of what you do, you'll end up with a sodden mess that won't dry until late November. Nothing like a sticky rod in your hand to build confidence.

Bux

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:36 pm 

Go to Home depot. Spend $40 on a 3" pvc tube, some glue, thinner and marine poly. Or...buy a bottle of Tru-Oil for $15 And spend a week putting 12 coats on. It's easy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:53 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
I have zero suggestions for dipping a rod into some convenient container filled with cheap varnish.
This entire project reads like a child's set of inter-locking building blocks. Regardless of what you do, you'll end up with a sodden mess that won't dry until late November. Nothing like a sticky rod in your hand to build confidence.

Bux

Poly or spar varnish will dry in a day or so. Hang it so the finish drips down and gives an even finish. Works fine, and I assume most rod builders dip their rods instead of whatever you recommend. Don't get cheap varnish, get quality stuff, which is about the same price.

If you have a rod tube made of aluminum, which I assume most of us do, use that instead of PVC, which weakens and bends with certain finishes. Go for it. It's actually easy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:03 pm 

Y'all making me real nervous about the rod I have coming.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:50 am 

Squire,

Have you noticed that all of the advice includes waves of encouragement and enthusiasm? That in itself should be waving red flags before your eyes and sounding warning alarms in your ears. Trust me, there will be a dozen, "Well, you should have done that...etc. when and if you botch the "simple, easy job."
The advice regarding getting the best varnish you can find is solid. Cheap varnish....and not properly stirred good varnish will ruin any project.
Bux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:04 am 

If it needs varnish I'm going to use Ebay Brand...provided I can't convince Old Cuz that he just has to have the rod.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:47 pm 

I didn't hear anyone mention turkey basters or squeeze bottles to apply the coating vice dipping. I've little experience with either method but my preference is to "drip" with a baster or diner Catsup bottle. Dipping is like watching grass grow while gooshing out streams of varnish is just packed with fun and excitement.

Whichever method you choose here's a couple tips:
- don't let the dog help no matter how much interest he shows.
- place the varnish can where you think it will do the least damage when you tip it over.

YPJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:11 pm 

I'd pay close attention to Neilson's advice. It's carefully thought out...while being fully aware of the problems lurking at every step of the process. Still, getting the best varnish, regardless of the price is key! If you have to have it shipped, do it. Your local hardware, discount or paint store aren't the best sources of top grade products.

Bux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:14 pm 

Yeah, I forgot about basting, which is what I did (along with Neilson) on my Chinese rod. Got to stand the rod up in a pan, like a throw-away aluminum roasting pan. Works pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:44 pm 

I have a friend who is a VERY reputable bamboo rod builder.(ask Brian, he knows his work) He finishes his rods with a small 1" black foam throwaway brush. I've watched him do it. He used to dip them but found it to messy. He gets fantastic results. Just throwing it out there.