Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:30 am 

The next morning after my triumph we broke camp after breakfast and headed downstream to find a likely spot with accommodating fish. We didn’t get far when the light breeze at camp became a raging gale. The decision was made to go to another river altogether. An hour’s drive and we were at a river I had fished two years previously without success.

We didn’t see a fish for a fair while and were getting concerned. Then we saw two large browns feeding actively. Unfortunately, we were atop a very high bank and there was no way to get down to a point where I could have cast to them. On upstream and we finally found a big fish in an attackable position. I eased into position and made a couple of drifts before being told to add a meter and have another go. In my inimitable fashion, I promptly flubbed the false cast, smacked the nymph on the water right on the fish’s head. That ended that!

With more luck than I deserved, another good fish was positioned just upstream. As is usually the case, this fish was facing the opposite direction because of a quirk in the flow. The nymph was replaced with a parachute dry and I snuck around to achieve an ambush. The fish was moving around a bit and my first cast was about two feet to its right and almost behind it. As I let the drift carry the fly to where I could lift it out safely, the fish turned around and sipped it down. LIFT, YES! A very healthy fish was making a run back into the hole where I had tried to knock out the first fish. Luckily, the fish decided to stay reasonably close and after a good deal of to-ing and fro-ing, I had a lovely 5 pounder in the net.

We continued our sojourn without any further luck until we were going to stop for lunch. A fish obliged by showing itself in a spot I could fish easily and as it worked its way past a large rock, I dropped a double nymph set ahead of it. TAKE! YES! NO! !@#%@$! Unbelievably, another fish of the same size eased into much the same location. This time the hook stayed solid and I worked another 5 pounder to the bank.

That was the cue for lunch. I was happily munching a ham sandwich when I looked over and saw a fish had arrived and positioned itself to start feeding. We watched it while we finished lunch and discussed tactics for its conquest (i.e. me making a decent cast and landing the fly in front of the fish without spooking it). Facing that difficult challenge, I steeled myself for combat and delivered the deceiving lure into the enemy’s sphere of influence. Thoroughly befuddled by my subterfuge, the fish took and we had a repeat of the pas de dux until the net brought down the curtain on our little drama.

The afternoon from then was tough going but I did manage one more 5 pounder before finishing for the day. Then the climb up the bank to the road finished off whatever stamina I had left. Thank the Powers that Be I didn’t have to hike to the car and could rest under a tree while the guide took 45 minutes to return for the ride home. Not the dozen fish of the day before but a day I would be happy with anytime.