Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New guy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:11 pm 

Hey,all.It took some time,but thanks to Greg Holland for his assistance in registering.I dont see an "intro" section,so I figured I'd do it in the fishing section,since this seems to be why we are here.I have been fly fishing for many years,but really got active with it after I retired 5 yrs ago.I live in Columbia County,NY.A short ride to my favorite Catskill waters,and minutes to a couple small creeks that have some decent fishing,I especially like the Bash Bish creek which flows about 200 yds from my front door.All I've seen in this creek are brookies,and thats just fine with me.I love using my short 2 & 3 wt rods here.I also have a seasonal cabin on a lake in Dutchess county,an hour from me with mainly large mouth bass.They have been stocking this water with mostly browns and some rainbows over the last 10 yrs or so.There were some "native" browns prior to the recent stocking,holdover from stocking done in the 70's.Its a deep lake,going 140 ft and the big browns were hard to find.There was a state record taken in the mid 80's,a 30 something pound brown.I have been seeing more and more trout since the stocking started recently.Sorry for the long intro post,I tend to get long winded,I'll just leave it here for now.Look forward to reading and sharing fishing experiences with you all.

Post subject: Re: New guy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:46 pm 

Welcome. I'm sure you'll find this group to be fun, smart, smart-arsed, and overall a bunch of good guys. I'm sure Bux will chime in soon with all his adventures from upstate NY. He likes to relive his early adult years with stories of how rough he had it and how tough it made him. Take it with a grain of salt, he was a traveling salesman for many years.

Sit back, enjoy, and don't hesitate to chime in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:16 pm 

Welcome aboard. We're always delighted to have new members with access to good water they can take us on.

We have several New Yorkers aboard and they are generally good guys.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:39 pm 

Wadda ya say new guy? I'm the old New Yorker mentioned earlier, even though I haven't lived there since 1958...60 years ago.
Born in Suffolk County, L.I., moved to Carmel (Putnam) in 1943. Military School, Cornwall-on-Hudson grad.'51.
Wasted a year at Cornell, Ithaca...then a glorious 4 years at St. Lawrence U., Canton.. Traveled the state as a peddler for several years (based in Pawling, Dutchess County. Been in North Carolina since 1979...and here I'll stay. Ignore the mugwumps on this site....they all wish they had the savoir-faire of most New Yorkers. Welcome aboard....it's a good crowd, and no one postures...more than once.

Bux

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:54 pm 

'58,eh Bux.I think that qualifies you as an "ex" NY'er.I was 3 at that time,learning to play slap ball in Bklyn.If you ever get back to NY you'll be surprised to see they have paved most of the roads since then.Most of the houses in Canton have indoor plumbing now,and you dont have to walk uphill to and from school in the snow from October til May.Putnam and Pawling are no longer considered "country",more like the suburban jungles of Long Island of my time.I'm sure when you were there it was still rural country.At least you dont have the embarasment of Gov Cuomo down there in N.C.My wife keeps trying to convince me to head down that way,Carolina's or Fla,but I'm not ready to head to some third world country yet,just kidding about that.I still need the change of seasons and the extremes in weather.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:44 pm 

Welcome aboard...it'll be nice to have another person who doesn't get all wrapped 'round the axle when the temperatures dip a little.

;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 pm 

Welcome, I'm about the only 'Down Under' member left. I was born and raised in southern Oregon but have lived in Nelson NZ for 30+ years. I fish for browns and rainbows in the local rivers. Don't believe all the lies they tell about me. Especially the ones about being insane because of being upside down all the time and cruel for posting fish stories in the Northern winter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:34 pm 

You can always tell a New Yorker, but you can't tell him much.

Welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:55 pm 

Gene L wrote:
You can always tell a New Yorker, but you can't tell him much.

Welcome.

Cant tell us much we dont already know,lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:46 pm 

Welcome! I'm not the whippersnapper here at 49 years of age, but I do bust the curve all to pieces. We love our northerners in spite of themselves and some of our southerners are downright tolerable (I hesitate to consider our Virginians as Southerners knowing who they elected governor, plus there's an awful lot of that antebellum royalty lurking in some of our members' coat closets).

Kidding aside, this is a solid bunch of fellas (myself excluded). I've fished with most of them, and they all knew which end of the rod to hold, even if I did have to show them where to cast, which rock to stand on, and tie their flies on the 6X fluoro.... Ed, Colston, Doug... I left you an opening....