Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Interesting times
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 pm 

It's been a difficult 6 months even thought I've gotten in a lot of fishing and caught plenty of fish up to 7 pounds. It all started on the Tongariro in August. It was my first trip and I had a great time landing 32 fish in 6 days. Then the last afternoon I was going to fish my 8wt Temple Fork broke inside an eye on the 3rd section. Turned out to be a wrapping fault and I sent the rod away in mid-September to get repaired or replaced. Things went smoothly until mid-January when I took a club member and his son out to help with their casting and spotting fish. We saw a good brown feeding in shallow water and the club member started working some line out. He flicked his gear sideways and threw his leader over my rod tip. Before I could say 'Stop!' he flicked it back and his bead head nymph smacked my rod. I winced and sure enough, next time T went to cast the tip broke clean. That the rod was my Sage X 5wt really hurt. I sent that rod off the next day (also under warranty). Oddly, both rods came back on the same day about two weeks later.

Then February arrived...

I had wanted a day on the water to myself and went to a section of the lower Pelorus I hadn't been to for a while. I had a good day, landing a 2.5 pound 'bow early on and hooking a powerful fish I couldn't catch up to because of slippery rocks and it pulled the hook. I caught a few more 1-2 pound rainbows and then toward mid-afternoon, I came back to where I started. I saw a fish rise and started to work toward it. Suddenly my feet went out from under me and I was sitting in water up to my neck. It took a few seconds to get my wading staff in a position to lever myself up again. That pretty much ended the day and when I got home I spread open fly boxes all over so they could dry out.

A week later Mary and I were on the Pelorus. When I hooked a nice 'bow of about 2 pounds my reel suddenly barely worked. I struggled and finally landed the fish to discover the spindle was wobbling all over the place. I couldn't figure it out because it worked fine two days earlier when I was on the Motueka with another club member and fished all day. I took it to who I bought it through and he managed to get it to steady and it seemed fine.

A couple of days later, I was on the Rai (using a different weight rod and reel where I tore my waders and got stung.

Later that week, I took Mary to her favourite spot where she caught her first fish. When we got there heavy machinery was removing a lot of the gravel. I found a safe [place to park and promptly hooked a fat rainbow but my reel acted up again. I landed the fish and we headed for a big hole just downstream. The best place to catch fish here is at the head of the hole, so I posted Mary there while I headed to shore and fiddled with my reel. I had just got the reel apart when Mary hooked a good fish that made a strong run downstream. She can't move too quickly especially in water so I headed over to help her land the fish. I saw the backing start off her reel when the connecting knot failed and the line shot through the eyes and down the river. I rushed over into deeper water and reached for the line with my wading staff but couldn't get hold of it. We watched as it headed to the middle of the big hole where we couldn't get it and were entertained as it would drift down for a bit and then head back upstream. This went on for a couple of hours before the line finally vanished altogether.

I wonder what March will bring.

P.S. my reel is still away but I have the loan of a frame until it gets back.

Post subject: Re: Interesting times
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:14 pm 

I wasn't sure there if you were bragging about all those fish or complaining about all those mishaps so I'll just take it as a good story. Thanks. There's days - - - and then there's days.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:27 am 

Gosh Michael, sounds like you've had your share of mishaps. Of those listed, losing that fly line had to hurt the most. The rest are warranty issues, but I don't know anyone who warrants a knot.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 pm 

Thanks, Michael. Now that you've used up all the lousy luck, it's safe for me to go out again.

John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:18 pm 

Satchel, well, now you will. The line was part of a purchase of a reel and backing from my guide. He installed the lot and tied the knot. He has replaced the line and leader as well at no cost.

P.S. The general agreement (as per Fisherman's Rules) is that teh fish weighed 10 pounds :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:27 am 

You are indeed a fortunate man Michael. Glad that worked out for you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:46 am 

I think the old song lyrics that my grandmother applied to such stories of mishaps was:

"Into each life some rain must fall."... "but too much is falling in mine."

Good to hear that most of it turned out with the repairs made to your satisfaction.

Personally, methinks the river gods are getting even. :twisted:

Bux

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:15 am 

Remember, Michael: just as the sun doesn't shine on the same dog's arse everyday, neither does the rain...

Persistence, man. Stiff upper lip, old chap. Stride boldly into the storm!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:12 pm 

Storm is right Doug. Cyclone Geta is headed straight for Nelson. Heavy rain and storm force winds tomorrow.