Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 pm 

Our neck of the woods* expecting more of the same.
Forecast:

High pressure will be in firm command through Friday, 1/26 as we enjoy bright sunshine and temperatures pretty close to where they should be in late January.

A cold front will approach by late in the weekend. Clouds return Saturday, and some rain will precede the front for Saturday night and through Sunday daytime. Amounts should mostly be a half-inch or less as thunderstorms along the Gulf Coast may rob the northward transport of deeper moisture into the local area.

Sunshine returns for Monday. Colder air will lag the Sunday frontal passage, and will arrive in the Foothills for Monday night and Tuesday. Temperatures will moderate again by the middle of next week.

Looking longer-term, the coldest air on Planet Earth will be massing over Canada by day 10. We will have to be vigilant, as significant pieces of that Arctic air mass may intrude into the Mid-Latitudes toward mid-February and provide a real return to winter.
Bux
*Charlotte, NC and foothills.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:18 pm 

You're all gonna die...

In the mean time, we'll be breaking out the grills, shorts and flip flops... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:58 pm 

It was, by the way, 48° degrees at home yesterday when I left.

...I am now near your old stomping grounds, stuck on Lawng Guyland until Tuesday...it's 44° here...

People tawk funny heah...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:34 pm 

63 degrees here right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:16 pm 

Further North wrote:

...I am now near your old stomping grounds, stuck on Lawng Guyland until Tuesday...it's 44° here...

Close, but no cigar, further....it is pronounced as one word.... Longuylind, and it is within the state of New Yawk. Incorrect pronunciations will peg you as a dawk.

I have a younger cousin that still lives there. I've been away for so long,( since 1943), that I can hardly understand her on the telephone...it helps that she "tawks loud."

LOL, Bux

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:46 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
Further North wrote:

Close, but no cigar, further....it is pronounced as one word.... Longuylind, and it is within the state of New Yawk. Incorrect pronunciations will peg you as a dawk.

I have a younger cousin that still lives there. I've been away for so long,( since 1943), that I can hardly understand her on the telephone...it helps that she "tawks loud."

LOL, Bux

:D :D :D :D

You're right, it is Lawnguylind. Heard it that way last night.

Ate at a little Italian place, as I feel I should do every time I come here. Got more great food than I can eat for $14.95.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:01 pm 

There you go....The language spoken in Western Long Island, closest to "The City", is a modified version of that heard in Queens, which is, it itself is a more acceptable version of Brooklynese. Then, as you venture out to the eastern tip of "The Island", the accent gets close to "Locust Valley lockjaw" which is of course another acquired language all together. I think you have to live there to appreciate the varieties of "New York English".

I suspect that the British too go through this conurbation of the variations of their "pecking orders" based on the schools attended, and the degrees earned therein.

Bux

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:21 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
I think you have to live there to appreciate the varieties of "New York English".

I don't mean this to be as harsh as it'll sound...but being from New York, that won't bother you: You couldn't pay me to live there.

Not enough, anyway. Too many people, not enough space...to far to good fishing and hunting...too many bad drivers (no, not the folks moving fast...the ones sitting in the left lane at the speed limit...or worse, in the center lane...).

...and I wouldn't expect anyone who lives there to enjoy living here, either...

But the food (outside of the hotel) was good, and the folks I know from there are good people, hard working and sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:44 pm 

Now there is the misunderstanding of Long Island, and, Westchester and Putnam County too.
As a kid, I trout fished in Long Island...but I never hunted there since I was too young to be trusted with a firearm.
When we moved to Putnam County there was trout fishing within 1/4 mile of our house- and deer, rabbit, squirrel, grouse and woodcock hunting right on our property. For a kid of 12, this was nirvana!
Then followed college in the North Country (St. Lawrence County) which just added to the opportunities. Rainbow trout, northern pike, muskies, pike-perch, smallmouth bass and lake trout...and of course more white tailed deer, ruffed grouse* and pheasants.
It was a great youth!

Bux

* Partridge to the insiders like JD.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 pm 

While visiting the Sheraton New York and Towers, the assistant security director, a retired Nassau county detective, told me I could trout fish in his backyard on Long Island. I was very surprised, but never able to accept his invitation.